Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Albuport Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 03:40 PM
    Starting a holding company
    I'm thinking of starting a company with two other partners so that we can own various interests in established companies. We don't want to own any of these interests personally. Is a holding company the best way to own?

AJ
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Jan 27, 2010, 04:38 PM
    The holding company route is a pretty typical way of arranging the ownership structure, although it's more common in private equity situations where the ownership of each portfolio company represents a controlling, or at least significant, ownership percentage. The purpose of setting up the holding entity in such a case is to insert an additional layer of liability protection between the partners and the operating assets.

If you and your partners are contemplating the ownership of majority or controlling interests, then the liability-firewall motivation I just mentioned will be important. Be aware, though, that if you end up making any personal guarantees of investee company debt, you've blown some serious holes in that firewall.

On the other hand, if you're just going to be owning small pieces of the portfolio companies--such that you're in effect a 'mutual fund club'--then having HoldCo will be less important WRT the liability issue. Nevertheless, a lot of 'investment clubs' do establish HoldCo entities in order to simplify (through the consolidation of) the accounting, administrative, and tax paperwork. So you might still want to consider forming HoldCo, in this scenario.

DEFINITELY have a pow-wow with your tax guru. Depending on what kind of business model you're contemplating, there are a number of variables that need to be decided upon (e.g. C corp, S corp, LLC), all of which having different tax consequences. Best of luck in the new venture!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to start a holding company? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm thinking of starting a holding company. I want to hold everything from shares in other companies to real estate to actual businesses (such as franchises or starting a new business and hiring a CEO to run it). While I may be young (19 years old and in college studying Finance) I still want to...

Starting a Trucking Company [ 2 Answers ]

I want to start a trucking company. Any suggestions please?

Starting Your Own Company [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking to become a consultant for my current company. They are located in NY and I live in Texas so I would like to become a consultant for them. They are open to it, so it is just a matter of me starting my own company... I'm assuming. Does anybody know the steps or a site that would...

Holding company property [ 5 Answers ]

I am leaving a company that owes me a great deal in commissions. I will never see most of the commissions if any at all. I have a company laptop that I am considering keeping until I get all of my commissions. What are my rights where this is concerned? What could happen to me legally if I refuse...

Starting a company [ 3 Answers ]

Hello There, I am getting some contract computer work from few individuals and I need they to pay me to my company. I was thinking of a sole propritory company. Is this advisable or should I form a corporation . In case of sole prop. What kind of insurance should I be taking and also can I form...

View more questions Search