Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MISTYLEEWILLIAM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 01:27 PM
    How do I collect my profitshareing from an old job that I had
    I worked at cobra tires on 1990&1991 they took money out of my check for 401k& profitshareing how do i find out who i need to talk to to collect my monies from?
    MISTYLEEWILLIAM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mistyleewilliam View Post
    i worked at cobra tires on 1990&1991 they took money out of my check for 401k& profitshareing how do i find out who i need to talk to to collect my monies from?
    my old job
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 28, 2010, 07:05 AM

You call it a 401(k), but back in 1990 very few (if any) companies actually had 401(k) plans - it wasn't until 1992 or 1993 that they became popular. However, starting back in 1990 you should have been receiving statements every year from the savings plan administrator telling you how much you invested, the company matching contributions (if any), and the account balance. I would bet that at some point in time - perhaps the mid-90's - the plan converted to a true 401(k), at which time you should have received info regarding the plan detals - investment options, how to contact the plan administrator, etc. And ever since you should be receiving quarterly statements. If you are not still receiving these statements, I can only assume it's because you have moved and didn't notify the plan administrator. So now you need to find out who the administrator is. If you kept any of those old statements, you'll find the contact info printed on them. If you didn't keep your records, you're going to have to become a bit of a detective. I suggest you call your old empoloyer and ask them about it - the HR depoartment should be able to tell you. Or if you know anyone who still works there, perhaps they can tell you.

One last question - do you have any idea about how much money was in the account? Reason I ask is that if it was relatively small, like under $5K, in most cases when you leave the company the plan administrator will automatically send you a check for the account balance, which you could have rolled into an IRA. So, are you sure that you didn't receive such a distribution back in 1991 when you left the company?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between job analysis, job description and job specification? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between job description, job analysis and job specification?

If you are paid 1099, and you lose the job will you still be able to collect unemploy [ 2 Answers ]

If you are paid as a contractor how is your unemployment insurance affected. If you lose your job are you still eligible for unemployment? {Moved from Forum Help - <>}

Just cause for quitting a job to collect unemplyment? [ 2 Answers ]

If you were promised several things (verbally)before you got hired at a company example: you would not have to work week-ends,pay etc. Then a new boss comes in and tells you ,that will not happen. You took the job because you were promised that you would not be working week-ends(because you...

View more questions Search