Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tboyd1953 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 08:18 PM
    Windows system32 drivers etc
    WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\ is empty no drivers plug and play will not recognize drivers for any devices running XP
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 10:27 PM

Make sure you can see system files, go to tools, folder options, view tab

Uncheck the 2 hide boxes and check and make sure that Show all files and folders is checked

If still empty, is this something new that just happened.

Anything new or changed on computer since this happened?

If recent and you know that files were there and not there now, you can do a system restore back to earlier time when all files were there.

System Restore
    -Go down till you see
    How to use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state
    How to restore Windows XP to a previous state
    tboyd1953 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 08:44 PM
    There was a power outage for about three hours. When the power came back up the system would no longer recognize my external CDROM drive. I tried to add it back in manually but the wizard could not find my driver. I searched for thew drivers. They were suppose to be in C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\ATAPI.sys. It could not find the path. I tried the system restore back to just after Christmas. I found the drivers in the previous location but when I tried to install the CDrom again it still could not find the path.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2010, 06:59 PM

Did your ext drive come with any software or driver disks?

When you install manually, you should be able to browse to the location where they are actually at and install from that location.

If that does not work, you can try and move/copy the files where you found them to the C:\Windows\system32\Drivers folder and try again.

If still no go, try to download the drivers from the cd-rom mfg website if avail and install those.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Virus in Hosts File inside Windows System32 folder [ 25 Answers ]

I have a virus in C:\\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts I'm using AVG free edition. I've put the file in the virus vault, it says it's possible to heal the file except that there isn't enough info to do so. Any ideas of what I should do?

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts virus [ 4 Answers ]

Last night got a virus, I don't know how.. might have been in a torrent or something. But yeah my avg is going crazy the resident shield is popping up every few minutes C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS virus Although when I click heal or move to vault nothing happens Done a bit of...

C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetchosts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I can't find \etc\hosts in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ and AGV keeps telling me it has a reading error in this line. All the forums I have been to tell me to open the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts folder and edit it to... but it isn't there how do I reinstall this folder(\etc\host)...

How do I open c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts [ 2 Answers ]

I can't find it, and I need to. Does anyone know where its located?:confused:

View more questions Search