Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindamhamilton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 06:39 PM
    How do I get a website

I am a janitorial service. I clean commercial businesses. I need a website to advertise my business
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 06:46 PM

Why are you bumping your thread every 2 minutes? You posted your question and someone will get to you as soon as they can.

This isn't a chat site, this is a question and answer site and all of us volunteer here, so a little patience is required, we all have our own lives and come here when we can. It can sometimes take days to get an answer, so patience please.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 06:53 AM
    You find a name and buy or lease a domain that someone else doesn't already own... money

THen you have to rent server space with a static IP... more money...

THen you have to set up the website on that server... or pay someone to do it... even more money.

That is VERY simplified because if you expect anyone to ever find that website there is a LOT more involved.
    That takes a lot of time and a LOT of know-how... and if you have to pay someone that actually knows what they are doing... a LOT of money.

And you have to maintain that website... and the recurring bills... money.

And based on your original question... you don't have a clue how to do any of the above. So you will be paying others to do it all.

And you do get what you pay for... trust me, been there done that.

Might be cheaper to take out an ad in the local paper, as your business isn't national, but local.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 27, 2010, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post

Might be cheaper to take out an ad in the local paper, as your business isn't national, but local.
    Most definitely. I hope OP doesn't go through this expense. The yellow pages, or a local directory is still a good venue for his type of business. I still check our listings in both if I want to find a service.

Tick
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 12:06 PM
    Hi, lindamhamilton!

I've done a bit of cleaning up of this thread...

It's not hard to have a website and to advertise on the Internet. Doing either of those things to get excellent exposure for people looking for what you do where you do it, doesn't have to cost you any money.

If interested in knowing how to do that, please let me know on this thread.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 12:30 PM
    Being on the internet and being easy to be found on the internet are two different things.

The difference between being on page 1,000 and page 1 of a search engine query is all about knowing how and what to do. That doesn't come easy or free. It does require you to be better at setting up that site and the required stuff than most of the others out there in your category. And obviously if it was that easy everyone would be the best and on page one, obviously THAT isn't possible.

How often do you or anyone dig down through more than the first ten pages on Google, Yahoo, Bing or whatever you like to use to find something? Not often right... nor do most others. Ever pay notice to how many results you might turn up on say, cleaning services? And clearly until you get one heck of a name, odd's are nobody is searching for you by name... they are looking for a cleaning service. How much work will you get if you are on page 20, or 200 on a search?

Most places that guarantee you a high search engine placement... are thieves. And often employ tactics that will earn you a spot on the blacklist which means you won't be indexed at all on that search engine.

Just some stuff to keep in mind. No I don't do this for a living... but I have done it as a hobby for years. And no... I don't do it for others. I don't have the free time.
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 12:38 PM
    Originally posted by smoothy
    Being on the internet and being easy to be found on the internet are two different things.

The difference between being on page 1,000 and page 1 of a search engine query is all about knowing how and what to do. That doesn't come easy or free. It does require you to be better at setting up that site and the required stuff than most of the others out there in your category. And obviously if it was that easy everyone would be the best and on page one, obviously THAT isn't possible.

How often do you or anyone dig down through more than the first ten pages on Google, Yahoo, Bing or whatever you like to use to find something? Not often right... nor do most others. Ever pay notice to how many results you might turn up on say, cleaning services? And clearly until you get one heck of a name, odd's are nobody is searching for you by name... they are looking for a cleaning service. How much work will you get if you are on page 20, or 200 on a search?

Most places that guarantee you a high search engine placement... are thieves. And often employ tactics that will earn you a spot on the blacklist which means you won't be indexed at all on that search engine.

Just some stuff to keep in mind. No I don't do this for a living... but I have done it as a hobby for years. And no... I don't do it for others. I don't have the free time.
    It's free on this site for me to help them, smoothy! It's also easy to be exposed the most when people do searches for what you do, where you do it!

Please click on the following links. Most of what you'll find for many pages will be about me.

Link One

Link Two

Link Three

Link Four

That ain't all and is only a small sampling of what can be done!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 12:44 PM
    Origianally posted by smoothy
    And obviously if it was that easy everyone would be the best and on page one, obviously THAT isn't possible.

I can get anyone exposed on the first page of a Google search within minutes!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    I can get anyone exposed on the first page of a Google search within minutes!
    I doubt that, if you could you'd be very wealthy.
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I doubt that, if you could you'd be very wealthy.
    Yes I can and I do! (I do wish that more people would use what I do, so that I could make some income from it!)

I haven't yet advertised extensively for providing that kind of service, though...
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 12:53 PM
    [quote=Clough;2197287]
    And obviously if it was that easy everyone would be the best and on page one, obviously THAT isn't possible.
    quote]

I can get anyone exposed on the first page of a Goggle search within minutes!

Seriously, Not intending to be sarcastic at all, so don't take this that way, but THAT is something I'd like to see.. on a category search... not using their specific business name, as they don't have the exposure or name recognition in the first place.

Having dealt with search engine submissions... metatag tweaking and knowing the time limits on those for years... and knowing what the major search engines frown upon and what will cost you position if you employ certain tactics, That's not possible in days... or even weeks.

If someone knew who they were or what they offered... they would know how to reach them as well. They clearly are looking for that exposure so you have to optimize so that THEIR information is more appealing to the search engines than everyone else's is on a topic search. And it is all about nuances and subtleties.

People who are really, really good at that can earn a good living doing it if they can prove a track record.
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Yes I can and I do! (I do wish that more people would use what I do, so that I could make some income from it!)

I haven't yet advertised extensively for providing that kind of service, though...
    How do you do it?
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 01:01 PM
    Having dealt with search engine submissions...metatag tweaking and knowing the time limits on those for years...and knowing what the major search engines frown upon and what will cost you position if you employ certain tactics, Thats not possible in days....or even weeks.
    I'm helping out in consultations about the SEO for the CMS of the website I manage. I'd love to see a single page we select be vaulted to the top by Clough. We could pick a free website page that we make and have him throw his magic into it. Wait a week or so for the bots to crawl it and see if he is true to his word.
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 01:05 PM
    I'm trying to find the link on this website where the advertising for a member appeared on the first page in a Google search within minutes. I think that I put an image on there about that.

I don't remember where it's located, though... Have to do some searching...

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 01:06 PM
    I'm helping out in consultations about the SEO for the CMS of the website I manage. I'd love to see a single page we select be vaulted to the top by Clough. We could pick a free website page that we make and have him throw his magic into it. Wait a week or so for the bots to crawl it and see if he is true to his word.
    Depending on where you advertise, it can happen within minutes!
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 01:08 PM
    How do you do it?
    I've been advertising on the Internet for well over four years now. There are certain websites that get excellent exposure in searches right away. But, it does depend on the keywords that a person adds to the ads in order to make a difference.
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 01:09 PM
    Now you can pay for placement on search engines... so that doesn't count, because you stated for free.

Ahead of all the professional businesses out there with hired guns and web designers, etc...

They have to earn that placement... and they have to earn the right to keep it.

There are shortcuts that might get you up there quick, but when you get caught and you will if you employ those tactics. (they have bots looking for exactly that sort of thing)... the site will be off the search engine altogether before long, and blacklisted.

And I am not talking about those multiple business listing things that you sometimes find on a search... I and a LOT of people back right out of pages like that we find, when we find them.

We are talking their home page , not a page where their advertizing is a minor portion of.

I think its important to be a bit more specific about exactly what we each are talking about, and where. Or we can all easily end up talking about different things. And I think we might be at this point.

I specifically am NOT referring to a online version of the Yellow pages on a results search.

But results that have their website and home page DIRECTLY on the search engine results, not shared by others on that result.

You can piggyback on someone else's site in minutes like an advertiser... but you won't get your own home page, on page one Google results in minutes,
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 01:15 PM
    Now you can pay for placement on search engines....so that doesn't count, because you stated for free.

Ahead of all the professional businesses out there with hired guns and web designers, etc....

They have to earn that placement...and they have to earn the right to keep it.

There are shortcuts that might get you up there quick, but when you get caught and you will if you employ those tactics. (they have bots looking for exactly that sort of thing)...the site will be off the search engine alltogether before long, and blacklisted.
    I've never been black listed and I know how the search engines work. My exposure on the Internet should be self-evident because of the links that I provided previously.

Here's another one.

Link One

There are over 6,000 results for my email address alone. That's only for the sites that will allow my email address to be listed on them.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 01:20 PM
    I'll be around later tonight, lindamhamilton, if you would like some help.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Now you can pay for placement on search engines....so that doesn't count, because you stated for free.

Ahead of all the professional businesses out there with hired guns and web designers, etc....

They have to earn that placement...and they have to earn the right to keep it.

There are shortcuts that might get you up there quick, but when you get caught and you will if you employ those tactics. (they have bots looking for exactly that sort of thing)...the site will be off the search engine alltogether before long, and blacklisted.

And I am not talking about those multiple business listing things that you sometimes find on a search.....I and a LOT of people back right out of pages like that we find, when we find them.

We are talking their home page , not a page where their advertizing is a minor portion of.

I think its important to be a bit more specific about exactly what we each are talking about, and where. Or we can all easily end up talking about different things. And I think we might be at this point.

I specifically am NOT refering to a online version of the Yellow pages on a results search.

But results that have their website and home page DIRECTLY on the search engine results, not shared by others on that result.

You can piggyback on someone elses site in minutes like an advertiser.....but you won't get your own home page, page one google results in minutes,.
    Yes, I can be first when people do searches for things...

It's become kind of a game for me now. For instance, I can beat all of the florists around where I'm located if people are looking for something for Valentine's Day. Flowers, candy, cards, games, etc,

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there any websites design websites on intalment basis or on joint venture profit s [ 5 Answers ]

Is there any website design website on intalment basis or on joint venture profit sharing basis?

Books websites [ 4 Answers ]

I am always interested in reading books (mainly mechanical engineering, but other technical books also). Does anybody know which sites I can go to get books and if possibly download them.

Can Websites Find Out What other websites we visit? [ 6 Answers ]

Is it possible for website owners to find out what other websites we visit? If so, how do they find out? Thanks

Proxy off websites because the school blocked mostly all websites [ 2 Answers ]

Can you give me as many proxy off websites that you know because at my school I can't play games or go to myspace or to Yahoo. So can you help me?

Websites as Seen on TV [ 6 Answers ]

How many people log onto a website they see flash across their screen during a TV show, movie, live newscast, etc. Not including website commercials, just random sites you see during a program.

View more questions Search