Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2010, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Here's another one.

Link One
    That's your email address, it's a unique piece of data, you aren't competing with anyone for it. All you did was make a lot of webpages and postings. That is absolutely NOT the challenge behind SEO.
    HBF Posts: 86, Reputation: 4

Jan 30, 2010, 01:27 PM

You can get a website for free. There are many companies out there that offer free website hosting. One is weebly.com.

You can also use your website as a blog. I have seen many do this. It isn't as nice, but it works. A good one is blogger.com.

However, having a website isn't just going out and getting a domain and putting some words on the page.

You have a lot of competition in the cleaning industry so you want to be sure your site gets picked up by the search engines. Make sure you have relevant content and keywords to help with that.

Do some research into what your site needs to get to the top of the search engines. Once you do that, just be patient. It will happen. But it doesn't happen overnight.

You can get your site on the top of Google by going through other companies that are indexed well such as Merchant Circle. These are free and highly recommended.

I always tell my customers to do a search such as your customers would and see what websites come up. For example if you are a cleaning company based out of NY. Do a search for cleaning in NY and many varying terms. Whichever sites come up on the first page, get listed there.

Good luck!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    That's your email address, it's a unique piece of data, you aren't competing with anyone for it. All you did was make a lot of webpages and postings. That is absolutely NOT the challenge behind SEO.
    Ah, but my email address is listed on many sites where the information that I've posted is competitive.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Now you can pay for placement on search engines....so that doesn't count, because you stated for free.
    No need to pay for placement on search engines. It's easy to get on the first pages of the searches for free!

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 06:17 PM
    Ah, but my email address is listed on many sites where the information that I've posted is competitive.
    Here is a better test of your skills: make a new website/page, let's say it's for paper airplane models, use your SEO magic to make it the first result returned when someone searches "paper airplane models". Does that sound reasonable?
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 06:22 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Here is a better test of your skills: make a new website/page, let's say it's for paper airplane models, use your SEO magic to make it the first result returned when someone searches "paper airplane models". Does that sound reasonable?
    But, providing paper airplane models isn't something that I do.

If someone did that sort of thing, and wanted me to provide the online advertising for them, be it on a website or on an advertising site, I'm sure that I could get them on the first pages in a search in short order.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 06:34 PM
    Your email address is not a good example of doing SEO since it's not a competitive search string. It matters not the sites it shows up on because you put that unique content there. The SEO challenge is getting websites/pages to appear higher on the results listings in a competitive space.
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2010, 06:43 PM
    This is now old, but it might help to prove my point.

Link

There's so much competition for Valentine's Day in and around wherever a person might be.

I'm first at the top of the page in the search.

Thanks!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 07:24 AM
    No need to pay for placement on search engines. It's easy to get on the first pages of the searches for free!

Thanks!
    Then a lot of serious businesses are getting screwed...
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 11:15 AM
    I finally found the link on this site where I demonstrated to a customer how quickly I could be first in a Google search. The ad that I posted on the web appeared in one minute!

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/small-...-423807-6.html

The title of the ad is not the name of my business. I simply used words that anyone might use in searching what I do, where I do it.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Then a lot of serious businesses are getting screwed....
    I am a serious business.

Feb 1, 2010, 11:24 AM

Yes, but most people are not going to be searching for this company using their business name. It is easy to come up in search results if you search using a unique business name.

People are going to search for a service in a service area (for example, house painter in Chicago). Those search results are much harder to achieve and you need to do your research on how to achieve them.
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HBF View Post
    Yes, but most people are not going to be searching for this company using their business name. It is easy to come up in search results if you search using a unique business name.

People are going to search for a service in a service area (for example, house painter in Chicago). Those search results are much harder to achieve and you need to do your research on how to achieve them.
    That wasn't my business name that I used in the search. It was how people might search for what I do, where I do it.

If anyone varies the search terms for a house painter in the locations where I work, I will show up first in the searches or at least on the first page.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 11:51 AM
    Here's another example.

Link.

I just used some generic search terms. I dominate the first page, if you check out the sites. That's also me on the Google Maps.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 11:54 AM
    Yet, another example.

Link.

Again, I dominate the first page, if you check out most of the links. I'm also the third listing on the Google Maps.

I didn't even list the State in the search.

Thanks!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2010, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HBF View Post

THAT is exactly what I was referring to earlier. IF you are looking for a place and haven't singled out on a particular business which will be what most new potiential clients will do.

Feb 3, 2010, 07:07 AM

I also found wix.com the other day, but it is all flash, which I understand is not good for customers with slow internet connections and is not good for getting indexed by Google... they don't like flash.
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2010, 11:30 AM
    This is interesting...

Last night, I went looking for pianos for sale around where I live.

Pianos for Sale Quad Cities - Google Search

Even though I don't sell pianos, I still appeared, in numerous places on the search, on the first page.

I was doing that for a customer for whom I went and evaluated a piano last night. She might become a student of mine as well as one of her sons. I also talked the person down for the cost of the piano and arranged, last night, for a mover for the piano. The person for whom I evaluated the piano, also paid me in cash and gave me a substantial tip in the payment.

Not bad! :)
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2010, 11:43 AM
    Are you coming back to here, lindamhamilton?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there any websites design websites on intalment basis or on joint venture profit s [ 5 Answers ]

Is there any website design website on intalment basis or on joint venture profit sharing basis?

Books websites [ 4 Answers ]

I am always interested in reading books (mainly mechanical engineering, but other technical books also). Does anybody know which sites I can go to get books and if possibly download them.

Can Websites Find Out What other websites we visit? [ 6 Answers ]

Is it possible for website owners to find out what other websites we visit? If so, how do they find out? Thanks

Proxy off websites because the school blocked mostly all websites [ 2 Answers ]

Can you give me as many proxy off websites that you know because at my school I can't play games or go to myspace or to Yahoo. So can you help me?

Websites as Seen on TV [ 6 Answers ]

How many people log onto a website they see flash across their screen during a TV show, movie, live newscast, etc. Not including website commercials, just random sites you see during a program.

View more questions Search