Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Jan 26, 2010, 05:23 PM
    Laundry room dedicated outlet - what amperage.
    Hello all - I just noticed that after re-wiring my laundry room a few month ago, instead of putting the washer/gas dryer on a dedicated outlet, they share a 15 amp circuit with the TV room outlets/lights. Obviously, I don't want to maintain this mistake any longer. When I ran wiring for the new washer/gas dryer outlet, I used 14/2 wire. Obviously a fine choice for a 15 amp circuit. My question to you all is, is 15 amps sufficient if all I power on this circuit is the washer/gas dryer (i.e. I will make this a dedicated 15 amp circuit this being able to reuse the already installed 14/2 wiring)? I have been using 15 amps for at least 6 months now with no issues (in fact sharing that same 15 amp circuit with a lot of other things e.g. TV, stereo, etc.). Or, should I take the time to open up the wall and replace the 14/2 with 12/2 and make the washer/gas dryer outlet a 20 amp dedicated circuit.

Now another question - I have a 20 amp outlet that is 12/2 from the breaker box to the outlet. Then, off the outlet I have 14/2 running to a light switch that switches one light. Had I realized what I was doing, I would have not done it this way. Is this still safe/within code since the only load at the end of the 14/2 wire is a light even thought the breaker is a 20 amp breaker? Let me know if this does not make sense.

Thanks,
    Rob
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 05:40 PM
    You have a perfect combination of something to run the circuit as is. It happens. The wire may be stressed ,or connection, that can pop up as a problem anytime, or may not happen for 20 years.

Statistics caused the Code to require a min of 20 amp circuit for laundry, one for both washer and gas dryer being allowed.

Many may not be as lucky as you.

While we all know the cable with the light will not be a problem, since it is only for a light, if someone years later were to extend it, and not check, there could be an overload.

Sounds like it may be a huge issue for you to get these corrected.

Jan 26, 2010, 05:54 PM

Thanks - I have just completed re-wiring the light with the 14/2 from the 20 am circuit to the TV room right next door (a 15 amp circuit) - I already had this wall open for a built in entertainment center project anyway. This leaves a 20 amp circuit running to nothing but an outlet, which currently has nothing plugged into it. As for the 15 amp outlet currently dedicated to just the washer/dryer, I could go through the garage wall to upgrade this to a dedicated 12/2 wire/20 amp circuit. Or I could leave as is as a dedicated 15 amp circuit (14/2 wire) with nothing else attached.

Sounds like I could get by with both options then - is that what you are saying? I imagine the worst case is that if I pull too much, I will trip the 15 amp breaker. No harm done with that except perhaps a lack of clean clothes...

Thanks,
    Rob
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 07:17 PM

If #14 is anywhere on the circuit, 15 Amp is your Maximum breaker size.

Jan 26, 2010, 07:40 PM

Thanks Stratmando - that much I know now. I have already removed the #14 from the 20 amp line and put it on a 15 amp circuit. So now all my 15 amp circuits have a min of #14 and my 20 amps have a min of #12. I am wondering if I should bother to upgrade my 15 amp (with #14) circuit to my washer/gas dryer to a 20 amp (with #12) circuit. Or leave as it currently is (15 amp #14 dedicated circuit).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One dedicated breaker for bathroom/laundry/storage space? [ 2 Answers ]

I have made the decision to add a bathroom in what was a large laundry room. I have redesigned the space to maximize the storage while still adding a shower, toilet, etc. The original space 14x14 is essentially divided into two new rooms. Room 1 - Storage - 2 separate sets of lights, three...

Testing outlet amperage with multimeter [ 2 Answers ]

Can you test the actual amperage of a 120v home outlet with a multimeter? When I plug in an appliance over 10amps in the 15amp outlet, the GFI kicks off. I want to test the outlet to see exactly how many amps are available. Thanks

Dedicated Laundry Circuit [ 6 Answers ]

I have read that I need a dedicated "laundry circuit” to power the washer/dryer. My question is my dryer already has its own dedicated 120/240V 30AMP circuit; can I still power the regular 120V outlet behind the dryer on the same circuit and is that within code? The washer runs at 10 amps and I...

How to wire an 15amp dedicated outlet from breaker panel to kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

I need to put a 15 amp outlet that has its own breaker in my kitchen above the cabinets or in cab over oven. This is for a microwave oven. Thanks in advance for any help!

Baseboard heater and attach it to the available 15amp non dedicated wall outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to heat an area (180cf with no moving air) using a 1500W using a baseboard heater and attach it to the available 15amp non dedicated electrical wall outlet. I would also like to control the temp. Inside this space with a standard home T-stat. mounted inside the area being heated. I...

View more questions Search