Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    char20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 02:31 PM
    Help for friend
    Have a friend who had 1,500.00 in a savings account in another state. His last statement was received in May of 2002. When he tried to have the money transferred to his account here he was told it was not possible he needed to do it in person. He spent 300.00 on a plane ticket to go get his money and was told when he got there that there had been no activity in his acc. For too long and they had closed it and turned the money over to the state. This was a savings account. Is this possible? Sure doesn't sound right to me, he speaks broken english and I'm not sure if he's misunderstanding or is being taken advantage of. Thanks for your help, Charlene McGovern
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Nov 20, 2006, 07:08 PM
    I believe that is the way banks handle inactive accounts. You should call or write the bank and ask them for contact information for the relevant state office.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 20, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by char20
    Have a friend who had 1,500.00 in a savings account in another state. His last statement was received in May of 2002. When he tried to have the money transferred to his account here he was told it was not possible he needed to do it in person. He spent 300.00 on a plane ticket to go get his money and was told when he got there that there had been no activity in his acc. for too long and they had closed it and turned the money over to the state. This was a savings account. Is this possible? Sure doesn't sound right to me, he speaks broken english and I'm not sure if he's misunderstanding or is being taken advantage of. Thanks for your help, Charlene McGovern
    Yes, it's proably correct, but check with the State where the bank is located, in lots of states' it called the "Unclaimed Property Dept" and is usually under most States' Treasury Dept. He will have to prove who he is, etc. Check online at Google, put in a query like this for example ALABAMA TREASURY "UNCLAIMED PROPERTY".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for an old friend [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for advice on how best to locate an old high school friend. I'd like to start with free or inexpensive services if possible. Only data points I have are her age, maiden name, high school and college.

I have a friend [ 7 Answers ]

OK here's the story! David is married and he is been separated for about 8 months and his wife has their daughter in califorina and she won't let david see his daughter So he is just filing for a divorce now and he wantshis daughter half the year until she starts going to school and then...

My Best Friend [ 5 Answers ]

I don't know where to start. I'm 16 and I met probably the most influential person in my life named Jamie. I met her at work and we started hanging out and all that. Things were going real well until last Saturday. I just want to get this out there before someone thinks of this in a different...

Friend poached another friend! Advice? [ 11 Answers ]

I had never had this feeling before, but last summer I felt like one of my friends was poaching another, as in they were going to be friends with each other INSTEAD of me, not in addition to me. A series of events happened in a few days (friend #1 supposed to come early to help with my...

View more questions Search