Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    old dad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 02:03 PM
    Electrical outlet wiring/switched outlet?
    Hi, I am trying to fix the wiring in an outlet in the master bedroom of the house we just bought. Currently there is a 3 gang swtich at the entrance to the bedroom. We were told two of the 3 switches controlled the fan & light for a ceiling fan lamp that was removed by the previous owner. We were led to believe that the 3rd toggle/switch controlled 2 wall sconce lights, which didn't work when we bought the house. We found a broken (black)wire in an outlet on the far side of the bedroom. When I tied the broken black wire back down (with the one still attached to the outlet), the wall scounces came on. However, they would not turn off? The 3rd switch didn't seem to have any effect on the sconces (off or on) The wall outlet in question actually has 6 wires in the outlet box(2 black, 2 white, 1 red, and 1 copper ground). I believe it is some type of switched outlet, with the second black wire carrying the 'hot' to the sconces, and the red wire being used as a switch some how. There is paint all over the outlet so I can't tell for sure but I think the tab may have been broken off between the outlets separating them. Does this make sense? The house is only 7 years old so I am pretty sure the wiring is from when the house/housing tract was built. How do I fix this?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 02:14 PM

The red wire may be for the switched outlet, and could be used for the sconches instead or inaddition too. Hook the black that went to the sconches to the red and see if it switches on and off.
    If you find you have power to both sides of the switch wheather on or off, a tab may not have been removed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troubleshoot Wiring a Dual Electrical Outlet [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I hope this is an easy one to answer. In my kitchen, I was replacing old electrical outlets (USA - 15a 120V). There are two specific outlets that are side-by-side. They fit in a double-sized box. Now, the outlets that I am replacing were a little bit older, and so I am a bit...

Converting regular 3 prong electrical outlet to dryer outlet [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a stacking washer and dryer and now the electrical cord on the dryer won't reach down to the existing dryer outlet. Is there any way to convert a regular 3 prong outlet that is close enough into a dryer outlet?

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Electrical Outlet Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have an regular outlet (not GFCI), spilled water making coffee, had the breaker kick off, replaced the breaker and regular outlet; tried a GFCI outlet; when I reset the gfci outlet the breaker still kicks off; any suggestions?

Wiring electrical outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 50 amp breaker on a 220v outlet that I plug my RV into, I'd like to install a 110v receptical next to it, getting my power from it. How do I go about this? Thanks

View more questions Search