Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rj914 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 01:34 PM
    Gift tax
    My wife inherited a cd in the amount of $25K from her uncle when he passed away, is any portion of the 25K excluded from federal tax under the gift tax exemption?

Thanks,

Rj914
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 01:46 PM

Your wife has no worries with respect to any federal gift tax or estate tax implications due to her inheritance. Any gift tax or estate issues would be handled by the executor of her uncle's estate. Therefore ALL (not just some portion) of what she inherited is untaxed. Although of course any interest earned on the CD after it transferred into her name is taxable.

Jan 26, 2010, 01:48 PM

Thank you for your quick and very helpful response.
    Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 01:52 PM

You're welcome! One other thing however: you didn't ask about state inheritance taxes - a few states do have them. What state do you live in?

Jan 26, 2010, 01:59 PM

Pa, and I have already take care of the state tax, but thanks for asking. Pa requires that you fill out an estimated tax within the qrt you receive your money, and at pay at least 90% of the estimated tax before year end.
    Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 02:10 PM

Yes - PA has an inheritance tax that is 15% for non-lineal descendants.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gift tax [ 1 Answers ]

As a recipent of a large monetary gift, what taxes am I responsible for and how should I report this to the IRS?

Gift tax [ 2 Answers ]

Is there ia gift tax on a US citizen receiving a gift from a foreign national?

Capital tax gain tax gift home [ 4 Answers ]

Mom wants to gift me,daughter,her home as I am disabeled on SS for 8 yrs with $1000 a month income. MOm has not lived in empty home for 1 yr and 8 months due to being in a nursing home. I haven't lived in her home in 10 yrs and want to stay in my apartment and will not live in the home ever. ...

Estate Tax and gift tax [ 1 Answers ]

My husband owns a house which we are living in together, and still have a big mortgage. If my husband adds me onto your deed for his house, is it treated as a gift and he or I have to pay gift tax? If he die without adding me onto his deed, do I have to pay Estate tax? If we get...

View more questions Search