Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ed in NJ Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 06:40 PM

OK is that just a line of silicone around where the housing parts meet? I should be able to handle that.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 27, 2010, 06:58 PM
    Use the type I mentioned do not cheat and try to use the cheap stuff or you will have sealing problems. You also have to seal or make tight all areas you work on. The system uses pressure/vacuum and leaks cause problems.

Jan 27, 2010, 07:02 PM

OK well it seems there is the seal around the fan housing, the motor looks like you just insert the shaft into the opening on the fan housing. I'm not sure there will be anything else to seal. I made a mistake by not watching the repairman take all this apart but I was called away.

Jan 27, 2010, 07:03 PM
    If I don't replace the fan and just install a new motor will there be anything to seal? Does the fan shaft just slide into the center of the fan housing? Looks that way.

Jan 27, 2010, 09:52 PM
    The housing has to come apart in order to properly replace the fan blade. Ed you do not seem very sure of yourself and it might be better just to pay someone to do the job for you.
    Justin Orr Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 10:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed in NJ View Post
    Does the fan shaft just slide into the center of the fan housing? Looks that way.
    No. the fan itself can't touch the housing at all, so its only connected to the motor shaft. If you just straight pull out the motor, the fan will drop and it'll be impossible to perfectly line it back up without taking apart the housing. Remember, the fan has to be centered left/right, up/down, and front/back so it doesn't scrape. Taking apart the housing is the only way to make sure its centered

Jan 28, 2010, 08:04 AM
    Well there is no point in approaching the job until I know all the particulars. Then I can evaluate how to proceed. Is centering the fan on the motor fairly easy? Is there any step by step repair guide that I can access?

Jan 28, 2010, 08:45 AM
    NO step by step guide that I know of. The problem is it is all mechanical in nature and either you have the talent to do it or not. To a mechanic it is all self explained since when you take it apart it goes back together the same way but with the new parts instead of the old. When I have done them in the past it usually takes about 30 minutes from start to finish and that includes a coffee and smoke break.

Once apart and the motor replaced just place the fan on the shaft correctly and press home to the same depth as the original. It is self centering so it should not rub when you spin it by hand. Red RTV the housing and slap it back together. Bolt on and away you go. NOTE: with the use the red RTV as suggested you can fire it up right away since the gap it fills is rather small.

Jan 28, 2010, 09:10 AM
    http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/Loctite/Product-Line/Loctite-RTV-Red-Silicone-Gasket-Maker/?autoview=SKU

Jan 28, 2010, 11:25 AM
    Looks like it might work but I have never used that brand since I pick up my stuff at a heating supply house.

Jan 28, 2010, 11:43 AM
    If I have this correct, then the fan wheel housing cover will be removed along with the motor, because the fan wheel is attached to the drive shaft that goes into the fan housing. Likewise, the fan wheel will be attached to the motor with the housing cover in between.

I had been picturing that the fan wheel goes inside the housing and then the motor shaft inserted, but you explained the wheel is attached to the shaft which holds it centered in the housing.

So as I see it I will unscrew the fan housing cover first, then the motor from its mounts and withdraw the motor, housing cover and fan wheel together, dissasemble and reassemble and replace in the same way.

I don't smoke but I may take the coffee break in between.

Jan 28, 2010, 12:30 PM
    Sounds about right to me and as you progress it will seem simple after you are done.

Jan 28, 2010, 08:10 PM
    Xx

Xx

Hmm, for the first time I found a pretty big drop of clear water sitting underneath and slightly in front of the fan wheel housing to the right side of it. Never saw that before.
    jamminmon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 08:14 PM
    Ed, I assume you solved your problem by replacing the motor. I have the same setup you took a picture of. I also have a similar problem that sounds like a high pitch squeal. I have power cycled the system in the past, but that no longer works. I believe I will follow the same process you have.
    Any advice would be appreciated, [email protected]
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating and air conditioning [ 4 Answers ]

Last winter I installed a programmable thermostat and everything was working fine. When summer arrived I switched it over to cooling and it was working fine all summer. I just switced the cooling off and left the thermostat in the off position. When I went to check the temp a few days later there...

Basic Air Conditioning System Troubleshooting [ 2 Answers ]

Wear safety goggles and gloves when working with refrigerant. Very important: Only add refrigerant to the low side port. 1. Fuse Testing. Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multi-meter. 2. Relay Testing. Verify that the compressor clutch relay and the...

My ruud Heating & Air Conditioning is not blowing hot air [ 1 Answers ]

My ruud Heating & Air Conditioning system is not blowing hot air, everything is working fine but not blowing hot air when I put it to heat

Heating and air conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace and a/c both turn on but there is no display on the thermostat. I have no meter to check that there is 24 volts. What is causing this? I read it may be a safety thing and that there could be a dirty filter or something. Can I fix this myself?

View more questions Search