Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ski0618 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 09:58 AM
    Will claiming my daughter as depend. Affect her fafsa appl for 2010-2011 as ind. Stud
    Hi, will claiming my daughter as a dependent on my taxes this year affect her Fafsa appl. She will be doing for the 2010-2011 school year. She is 23 and lived with me for 8 months last year & was a full time college student for 6 months in '09. She is now living on her own & would like to file as "independent" student since she will be turning 24 this September. I just don't want this to affect her being able to do this. Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 11:13 AM

I don't see how your claiming her as a dependent for 2009 would affect her ability to get student aid for 2010-2011. Looking at the dependency status worksheet on the fafsa.gov web site: it seems that as long as she was born in 1986 or earlier, is not married, and will be studying full time for her masters or doctorate for the 2010-2011 school year, she is defined to be "independent." See: FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid

However- did she have a job after graduation? If she provided more than half her own support during the year you can't claim her as a dependent.
    ski0618 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 11:29 AM
    OK, thanks... I think you just answered my question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming my daughter [ 15 Answers ]

I have my daughter 95 percent of the time and I'm supposed to receive child support from her dad but most of the time I don't receive it. He told me today he was going to claim my daughter on his taxes and there was nothing I could do about that. Can't he get in trouble for claiming her if I was...

My boyfriends daughter will be 21 in March of 2010, she lives with us, doesn't work, [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriends daughter lives with us, doesn't work, doesn't go to school. Has been in and out of jail 8 times in the past 2 yrs. We try to help her, but she won't follow the house rules. I am afraid she will be the ruin of us all. What can we do?

Claiming my daughter [ 4 Answers ]

I have joint custody of my daughter, and there are no court papers stating which one of us can claim my daughter for taxes. Almost every year my ex has claimed her, but this year I claimed her. Now my ex is telling me that I'm going to prison for claiming her, is this true? I can't seem to get a...

Claiming daughter on taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old daughter with my ex-boyfriend. He used to live with us and he paid the majority of the bills. I was a stay at home mom, except for 4 months. Who gets to claim our daughter for the taxes? We are currently going through a custody battle and I have been granted temporary full...

How much would I get for claiming myself n my baby daughter? [ 3 Answers ]

Around how much should I expect? My daughter is only 3months old

View more questions Search