Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atltravel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 06:29 AM
    Two w2's same company social security overpaid
    I transferred between divisions of the same company. I received two w-2's, and the company withheld too much social security tax. My electronic refund was rejected because I have two w-2's with same company ID. If I combine my W-2's together, the software says the company owes me the excess social security tax. The company says the government. Who is right?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 07:12 AM

If you work for 2 different employers and have too much SS tax withheld (more than $6621.60 for the year) you can claim a credit on line 69 of your 1040. But if the excess was withheld by employer error (which is what this sounds like, assuming your W2's shows the same employer EIN), you can not take the credit, but must instead get a refund from your employer. If your employer refuses to do so, you can file form 843 to request a refund from the government. See page 263 of: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security disability,unemployment and social security [ 2 Answers ]

I got approved for ssdi but got disapproved for ssi because my unemployment can I later get ssi after my unemployment is finished?:(

Social Security [ 1 Answers ]

How much can you earn a year working while collecting Social Security?

Supplemental security income and social security disability income? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are approved for supplemental security income and social security disability will you get full benefits from both or will it get cut in half and if your children receive ssi will their benefit be effected?

Social Security [ 2 Answers ]

I'm legally blind. I was actually born completely blind and although I gained my sight. My retina never developed and I was considered legally blind by the state. I'm not able to drive.. etc. I was on social security. They weren't giving me much so I was also working so that I could pay for my...

Received 2 W2's because I transferred between divisions of my company [ 7 Answers ]

I accepted a promotion form my company in August of last year. I moved from FL to OH late in the year. Since the promotion meant I was transferred to a different legal entity of my company I received two W2's for 2006. The problem is While one of the W2's had relocation expenses on it, I know my...

View more questions Search