Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spuneet82 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 12:21 AM
    Have forced gap in resume.
    Hi,

I work for a US based firm as Software Developer ,while visiting my home country I got stuck with visa processing and it took some 6 months to clear it.

My question is for this duration of 6 months gap how should I mention it my resume? I was not working for this duration and neither get paid ,now I am back to my old job.

I am looking for new job opportunities and I'm not sure how to go about the gap in my resume.

Thanks

Will appreciate any suggestions.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Jan 31, 2010, 04:12 PM

Simply say what happened as briefly as possible. It's nothing to be ashamed of that I can tell, and I can't see it being held against you.

Or...

If you were still employed by your current employer during those six months, but not being paid, you might not have to mention it at all... or perhaps simply say "with six month absence while on unpaid leave due to unforeseen circumstances" if you still feel it should be mentioned.

In either case, if you are qualified for the job it will likley have minimal impact on your chances for emplyment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 04:29 PM

Yes, were you still "employed" by them, just on a layoff or other status ?

If so, nothing to mention unless it comes up

If you had quit and were rehired, merely list it as what it was.

Also many people don't use resumes with dates, they make their more funtional as to the skills they have and the such

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Specifications i.e. spark plug gap,tappet gap hot & cold, air gap [ 1 Answers ]

I need these specs for a briggs & stratton Vanguard 16 hp v-twin ohv engine. Model no 303442.Thank u very much Jan

New resume [ 8 Answers ]

Hey I need to type up a new resume but I don't really have much experience & my resume is pretty blank.. but all the places I apply for ask for one, what else can I put on it other than experience?

Resume [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get my past work history to fill out a resume

How efficient is it to convert gas forced air to electric forced air? [ 1 Answers ]

I am afraid of a gas furnace, for fear of an explosion. I have had this fear since I was a little boy. Hence, I simply must have an electric heating system. However, the area in the MidWest where I have been considering has almost no electric homes, mostly because of the high electric rates...

Resume [ 3 Answers ]

How to make an effective resume?

View more questions Search