Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confused1087 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 05:36 PM
    Chapter 13 bankruptcy and inheritance
    We are 2 years into paying our monthly payments on our Chapter 13 bankruptcy, I have just inheritated a large sum of money, do I have to let my lawyer and trustee know about this?
    confused1087 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 05:36 PM

We are 2 years into paying our monthly payments on our Chapter 13 bankruptcy, I have just inheritated a large sum of money, do I have to let my lawyer and trustee know about this?
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jan 25, 2010, 07:10 PM

Yes,you have to let your lawyer and trustee know, if not you may find yourself in hot water.Bankruptcy is serious stuff. Also what makes you think this would not be found out since if it's a large inheritance it would have to be reported on your taxes. If I am wrong someone correct me on this
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 08:02 PM

Yes, it will be considered income and effect the money you have to pay,
    XTC832 Posts: 60, Reputation: 6

Jan 26, 2010, 06:03 PM
    When you file for Bankruptcy, you are creating an "estate" that is more or less supervised by the trustee. Chapter 7 estates in most cases end rather quickly. This is because most Chapter 7 bankruptcies average about 3 to 6 months, sometimes longer if there is a lot of liquidation involved. Until your Chapter 13 case closes (usually 3 to 5 years) any money that comes into the estate has to be reported to the trustee. This includes inheritance money, income tax refunds, virtually any income above and beyond your normal salary and/or what you declared in your petition. Bankruptcy law dictates that creditors are to receive as much in Chapter 13 as they would if you filed for Chapter 7. Your Chapter 13 payment plan was based on your then-current numbers; since the case is still open and the numbers have changed, almost invariably they are readjusted. It's really at the trustee's discretion as to how it's adjusted. Definitely make your attorney aware of this inheritance. Even though you're 2 years into your plan, your case could get dismissed if you don't disclose the information. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chapter 13 bankruptcy and inheritance [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I will be filing chapter 13 bankruptcy next week. I inherited $20,000, along with each of my brothers and sisters each inheriting the same amount. However we cannot touch the money, which is all in a cd, until my mother passes away. My father requested we leave the money as it is and...

Received small inheritance right after filing for Chapter 13 [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I just filed for Chapter 13 a little more than a month ago. Not long after filing, my grandmother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and passed away within 2 weeks of her diagnosis. I had no clue that she had any money set aside or any sort of an estate, but at the funeral my...

Protecting inheritance from Chapter 7 [ 4 Answers ]

Apologies in advance for the long post, but I really need some advice regarding what to do / who to talk to about how to protect the monies from an inheritance. I am a California resident, and had recently spoken with a bankruptcy attorney in preparation to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy, because I...

Chapter 13 inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

I racked up $100000 in credit card debt gambling on the internet. Some of these cards were in my wife's name. We filed for bankruptcy and agreed to pay over a 3 yr period. 1 yr later my wife's mother dies unexpectantly and my wife was left some money and land. Our attorney never warned us on what...

View more questions Search