Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 10:18 AM

Ok sorry sent that post before I saw Alty's response.
    Thank you, and I hope we canmove on too.
    Sorry KC.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 10:22 AM

... I'm going to go against what everyone told you. When I trained my own puppy, I didn't start to actually do obedience anything until 2 weeks after I purchased my puppy.

You need to bond with your dog. Even though obedience does develop a bond, you need to come to an understanding with your puppy. You need to find out what the puppy likes and doesn't like. What makes your puppy happy and what doesn't. The same with a child.I doubt anyone with a new born baby is teaching the baby to walk and talk at 8 weeks of age. Take everything slowly. Start the sit command when you feel ready and when the puppy is ready. You need to bond with your pup right now.

As far as feeding... Puppies don't understand "dominance' at 8 weeks of age. The puppy wants to eat out of your labs bowl because the puppy probably ate from moms bowl. You just need to redirect and show puppy that he/she gets their own bowl to eat from. I feed my puppies with me right next to them. I pet them and mess with their feet while they eat. I don't ever make puppies sit and wait for their food. If you have established a good understanding with one another, then the puppy is going to recognize you as pack leader without having them do tricks for their food. I'm not a big advocate for that unless its needed... usually adult dogs with dominance issues understand what that means.. not so much a puppy.

I have raised 20 puppies... I have a household of all females... I have no issues with anyone because I am pack leader... and I didn't establish that by making my dogs sit and wait for their food... :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 10:22 AM

Aurora, I for one value your input on this site. You are a compassionate person and your love of animals comes through in every one of your posts.

Knowing KC, he will value what you have to say. Just remember that this is his first puppy. It doesn't always come naturally. Puppies can be a challenge and I think he's up for the challenge.

The fact that he came her for help instead of just giving up or worse, that should tell you what kind of person he is. He wants to do what's best for his puppy. He just needs some advice. :)
    Pets Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    ....I'm going to go against what everyone told you. When I trained my own puppy, I didnt start to actually do obedience anything until 2 weeks after I purchased my puppy.

You need to bond with your dog. Even though obedience does develop a bond, you need to come to an understanding with your puppy. You need to find out what the puppy likes and doesnt like. What makes your puppy happy and what doesnt. The same with a child.I doubt anyone with a new born baby is teaching the baby to walk and talk at 8 weeks of age. Take everything slowly. Start the sit command when you feel ready and when the puppy is ready. You need to bond with your pup right now.

As far as feeding... Puppies dont understand "dominance' at 8 wks of age. The puppy wants to eat out of your labs bowl because the puppy probably ate from moms bowl. You just need to redirect and show puppy that he/she gets their own bowl to eat from. I feed my puppies with me right next to them. I pet them and mess with their feet while they eat. I dont ever make puppies sit and wait for their food. If you have established a good understanding with one another, then the puppy is going to recognize you as pack leader without having them do tricks for their food. I'm not a big advocate for that unless its needed... usually adult dogs with dominance issues understand what that means..not so much a puppy.

I have raised 20 puppies... I have a household of all females... I have no issues with anyone because I am pack leader...and I didnt establish that by making my dogs sit and wait for their food....:)
    Did I miss something? I thought that KC got the 11 week old puppy he was looking at.

He also mentioned in his post that he got the puppy a few weeks ago.

I follow the Cesar Millan method, because it works. In the wild, dogs have to work for their food. To make your puppy sit for hers is a form of working for her meal.

Everyone has their own method Lucky. Obviously you believe yours is best and it works for you. That's great. My method is just as valid and it works for me. :)

If KC did get the 11 week old pup she's over 3 months old now, a perfect time to start training. Actually, mother dogs start training their pups at birth. It's people that think "Oh, she's so young, too young to learn, let her just be a puppy". For me, the earlier you start the easier it is. You have to remember that this is a dog, not a child.

Anyway, the methods KC uses are up to him. I can only post what I believe and how I train my dogs. To each their own. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 11:07 AM

OH EXCUSE ME! I'm sorry...

Yes... dogs in the wild act very different than dogs in homes. Dogs in the wild also live by strict rules of either live or die..

I have raised 20 puppies... Maybe not to adult hood, but 20 puppies. I have never once made any of those puppies sit and wait for their food. It's a waste of my time.. But if that's the solution that you want, by all means do it. Unlike you, I'm not criticizing your training methods. There are over 100 different ways to properly raise a puppy, but I guess if you don't agree with it, or you haven't read about it in a book, then its wrong... Once again, I have personally worked with 20 puppies. How many have you worked with? The solution I have works for me... And I'll share my experience with people who ask.

Now, let me quote myself ---
    I'm going to go against what everyone told you...
    -- To me, I didn't criticize anyone. I didn't say that you were absolutely wrong and that my way is more correct. I didn't say that all. Did I highlight what you said and go over how wrong you are? no.. My methods ARE NOT WRONG. I don't understand why you think you need to call me wrong in every aspect because you personally don't like my ideas.

I am so tired of being picked on on this website... Its almost getting to be annoying. I ask for help with my own personal dogs, and not a single person on here can give me an answer or solution, yet everyone on here puts themselves on a high horse with every answer being most correct.

Dogs are dogs... there are more solutions to training techniques then what wild dogs do and what a TV dog trainer has to offer. I explore every aspect and take everything into consideration.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 11:20 AM

Yikes Lucky, she didn't say you were wrong...
    And I quote "Everyone has their own method Lucky. Obviously you believe yours is best and it works for you. That's great. My method is just as valid and it works for me."
    Sounds like she was agreeing to disagree.
    The point of this is to SHARE different opinions.
    No one has to agree on EVRYTHING.
    You are lucky that yours worked for you.
    I think it's great you have helped over 20 puppies...
    But it's not a competition, we're all here to help.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 11:31 AM

I'm not in any way saying I'm better than anyone else on this website... But any time I post something that isn't exactally what everyone on here agrees with, I find myself fighting with everyone. I'm not going to say I'm wrong. I'm not saying anyone else on here is wrong either. I'm not trying to start a fight, but I'm not going to allow myself to be belittled by people on this website because my advise isn't what everyone else agrees with. The way I see it, Ceaser Milan and the lady from "its me or the dog" came up with their own ideas and became well known for it. Doing my own thing isn't wrong.
    Pets Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 11:36 AM
    OH EXCUSE ME! I'm sorry...

Yes... dogs in the wild act very different than dogs in homes. Dogs in the wild also live by strict rules of either live or die..

I have raised 20 puppies... Maybe not to adult hood, but 20 puppies. I have never once made any of those puppies sit and wait for their food. It's a waste of my time.. But if that's the solution that you want, by all means do it. Unlike you, I'm not criticizing your training methods. There are over 100 different ways to properly raise a puppy, but I guess if you don't agree with it, or you haven't read about it in a book, then its wrong... Once again, I have personally worked with 20 puppies. How many have you worked with? The solution I have works for me... And I'll share my experience with people who ask.

Now, let me quote myself --- -- To me, I didn't criticize anyone. I didn't say that you were absolutely wrong and that my way is more correct. I didn't say that all. Did I highlight what you said and go over how wrong you are? no.. My methods ARE NOT WRONG. I don't understand why you think you need to call me wrong in every aspect because you personally don't like my ideas.

I am so tired of being picked on on this website... Its almost getting to be annoying. I ask for help with my own personal dogs, and not a single person on here can give me an answer or solution, yet everyone on here puts themselves on a high horse with every answer being most correct.

Dogs are dogs... there are more solutions to training techniques then what wild dogs do and what a TV dog trainer has to offer. I explore every aspect and take everything into consideration.
    Where the heck did this come from? Did you read my post Lucky?

I never picked on you or your methods. I clearly stated that everyone has different methods and that mine work for me just like yours work for you. There is no right and wrong here, only different methods.

I never said you criticized me. Not once.

As for how many puppies I've trained. I don't breed dogs, so of course I haven't had as many as you have had in your home. I only have dogs as pets, not as breeders. So, it's not possible for me to have raised 20 puppies in my life time. I have however raised every dog I've had from puppyhood until the end of their lives.

Which threads are you talking about where you asked for advice and didn't get any? We're not always able to give an answer, that's a sad fact. I wish we had all the answers but we don't. I'm sorry that you didn't get the help you were looking for, but to blame the people on this site for that, well, that's not fair.

Did I highlight what you said and go over how wrong you are?
    Actually, you did. You picked apart what I said about making the puppy sit for it's food. I simply posted that this is my method. Again, you don't have to agree with it and I'm not saying that this is the only way. It's what I do with my dogs and it's my opinion that this works.

The solution I have works for me... And I'll share my experience with people who ask.
    And we welcome your input. I don't welcome the hostility in your post, but your input is always welcome. My solution also works for me and just like you, I have the right to post my opinions here.

Lucky, I'm shocked that you read my post and this is what you came up with as a response. I did none of the things you're accusing me of. If it came off that way then I'm truly sorry, but really, I'm shocked that this is how you interpreted my post.

If you have a problem with me I'd rather we discussed it on a different thread, let's not take away from KC's thread and turn this into a debate about who's the better dog trainer. That's not why I'm here, I hope that's not why you're here.
    Pets Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 12:00 PM
    I'm not in any way saying I'm better than anyone else on this website... But any time I post something that isnt exactally what everyone on here agrees with, I find myself fighting with everyone. I'm not going to say I'm wrong. I'm not saying anyone else on here is wrong either. I'm not trying to start a fight, but I'm not going to allow myself to be belittled by people on this website because my advise isnt what everyone else agrees with. The way I see it, Ceaser Milan and the lady from "its me or the dog" came up with their own ideas and became well known for it. Doing my own thing isnt wrong.
    I re-read my post 5 times, I still can't see where I fought with you or said that you're wrong. I simply stated that I have a different method.

I never belittled you. If that's the way you took it, again, I'm sorry, but what part of my post led to you feeling belittled? I'm not seeing it.

I'm really confused here. I can't see what part of my post prompted this response. I'm floored that you reacted the way you did. I really don't know why.

I'm sorry KC that we've gone off the topic. I'm just trying to understand where this anger is coming from. I'm not seeing any reason for it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 12:02 PM
    Since everyone has their own viewpoints and what works for them, I am going to close this thread before it turns ugly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New dog owner [ 102 Answers ]

I've always had cats. I was finally convinced, after over a year of prodding and begging by my kids, to get a dog. We now have a 2.5 month old puppy. Beagle/Lab mix, with maybe some Weiner Dog mixed in. We got a good dvd about general training, but I'm wondering what your recommendations...

What was the name of the dog that snickered at things his owner did all the time? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the dogs name that snickered at things his owner did all the time ?

New Dog Owner [ 8 Answers ]

Hey I just finally got my first puppy ever today and he's already peed twice in the house and pooped once... the second time he peed in the house we had just came inside from me trying to get him to go, I am sure he will get used to it but I worry he will be one of those puppies that always goes on...

New dog owner [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know how often do young dogs of about 5 to 6 months go poop on a regular diet

Winterizing my dog-A few suggestions [ 1 Answers ]

When winter is upon us, we need to focus on the special needs of older dogs, who can be especially susceptible to the extremes of temperature and other stressful, dangerous conditions of winter. (1) Does your older dog need a sweater? How about a raincoat? Wet fur decreases your dog's ability to...

View more questions Search