Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crysole22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 06:05 AM
    How much are 401ks taxed
    My husband got a new job at the beginning of 2009... when leaving we received the money that was in his 401k (needed it). I know that they taxed it before disbursing the money, but I want to know if we will be penalized when filing our taxes for 2009? We live in the state of GA. Does anyone know if we have to pay taxes on it again? It was only about $1000 as he was not with the company long.

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 25, 2010, 06:32 AM

No they did NOT tax it. What they did was withhold 20% against your tax liabilty. So you will get a 1099 from his old company listing the amount of the distribution and the amounts withheld. You add the total amount of the distribution to your taxable income and the amount withheld to your withheld amount. You then add a 10% penalty for early withdrawal.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 03:20 PM
    The only good thing about this is that the amount ($1,000) is relatively small, so the tax bite will not be too great!

Jan 27, 2010, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    The only good thing about this is that the amount ($1,000) is relatively small, so the tax bite will not be too great!
    Thank you... you put my mind at ease

Jan 27, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    No they did NOT tax it. What they did was withhold 20% against your tax liabilty. So you will get a 1099 from his old company listing the amount of the distribution and the amounts withheld. You add the total amount of the distribution to your taxable income and the amount withheld to your withheld amount. You then add a 10% penalty for early withdrawal.
    Thank you very much... we received a w2 from his old company. Is that all that we need to file? We haven't received a 1099.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 27, 2010, 12:50 PM

You will receive a 1099-R form from the 401(k) plan administrator - it should arrive in the mail within the next week or so. You report the income shown on the 1099-R on line 16 of Form 1040 ("Pensions and Annuities"), you report the 10% penalty on line 58 ("Additional Tax on IRAs, other qualified retirement plans, etc"), and the amount that was withheld you include in line 61 along with the withholding listed on your W2's or other 1099's.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I file my taxes with part non taxed and part taxed per diem [ 1 Answers ]

My job extended past the 12 month period. My per diem was non taxable for 4 months of 2008 and taxable for the remaining 8 months. I am still on this project with perdiem being taxed and should complete assignment end of April 2009. How do I file my taxes. I usually use the government allowed rate...

401Ks [ 6 Answers ]

My question is if you have a company wide 401k and in the beginning they matched 50 cents on the dollar then switched it to dollar for dollar but never told some of the employees must they honor it and give it to all employees under the Company wide 401k policy

I see a trend here about 401ks [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone notice it? Look how many posts are about people wanting to take money from their retirement years account! (for one of many reasons) :confused: :eek: Why? Is living in America that expensive that everyone is broke? Or is it something else.. People overspending, over...

View more questions Search