Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 12:04 AM
    Financial assistance for someone in a tight spot
    HI there,

I had a question. A friend of mine is moving out of her house that she rents with her boyfriend. She has saved a little up, but not enough for deposits on an apartment. Is there any charity or organization or loans or grants or anything that can help her get out of there sooner. He is emotionally and mentally abusive, anyday it could become physical. And I would hate to see something bad happen to her.

Thank you.
    smithmd15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2010, 07:03 PM

Have you tried 211?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 10:03 PM
    Hi, Momma!

How about a woman's shelter or Catholic worker house? If he's being abusive, those sort of places would be able to shelter her without him knowing where she is.

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 11:28 PM

211?

Clough, I have suggested this but she flat out refuses. She wants to move and be able to afford her own place. Is there no money to help someone with something like this?
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 11:34 PM
    I may have suggested this to you on another thread. I don't remember...

Around where I live, the is a community action agency called Project Now.

Project NOW They help people with things like rent, house payments, utility payments, food and clothing, etc.

If you and/or she gets in contact them, they might be able to help you locate a similar agency around where you are.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 11:36 PM
    From the following site:

2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
    Vision Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 11:43 PM

Thank you. I will let her know. Around here no one really wants to help unless kids are involved..
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 11:46 PM
    Around here, I've been getting help from that agency. I'm by myself...
    Vision Expert

Jan 25, 2010, 11:54 PM

Yeah, guess people aren't as nice here. I've struggled for years on my own, no one cares. I couldn't even get state medical.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 12:00 AM
    Not all the places in each state are named the same sort of things. It helps to "nose" around to see what's available, in order to get help.

If you go to the free meal sites, you'll be likely to find people "in the know" as to where to get help.
    Vision Expert

Jan 26, 2010, 12:07 AM

Free meal sites? Such as? I don't really know much about this stuff.
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2010, 12:12 AM
    Some churches have them. Community centers do, too. Possibly township halls. Maybe even the local YMCA or YWCA.

If you call the City Hall, you should be able to get a listing, locations and contact information about free meal sites.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Financial Assistance [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently been released from a federal camp and due to the conditions of my probation can not go back into my field of employment. While I am actively looking for a job in the current economy this has not been successful. I would like to know if there is any type of financial assistance to...

Girl in a tight spot can't commit; abandon hope? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, all, I've got a story to tell but I'll try and make it short. It'll still be kind of long so I'll make it a little funny to break up the monotony. Also, I suggest you go to the fridge and grab a six-pack of (if you're legal, beer; if not, soda). If you really can't read it all, skip to the...

Financial Assistance [ 1 Answers ]

Do the government offer any financial aid for felons?

Financial assistance [ 2 Answers ]

First I want to preface my question by acknowledging that I know I am not the only one experiencing difficulty during these times. My husband and I have been struggling since 12/99 when his company laid him off. He is 57 and it has been hard for him to find a decent paying job; I am 50 and had...

View more questions Search