Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lh25741 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 09:13 PM
    10 hp Briggs & Stratton generator - no spark
    Have a 2006 Briggs & Stratton 5550 generator 10hp overhead cam with an intermittent starting problem. It will start good 2 or 3 times in a row and then won't at all. Was using for 30 hrs recently. Shut it down to change oil. There's no spark now as in the past under a no start situation.

Have replaced the armature/coil, air gap is set correctly. Wire has been disconnected from armature/coil and still no spark. There are no diodes in the wiring.

What else can I check?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 09:43 PM

If you have replaced the magnito and its still not firing then have you checked for a ground fault ? Could the ignition wire be shorted? You might want to check that and your ignition switch.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jan 24, 2010, 03:59 PM

Hi,
    Generators use an average of 8-12 oz. more than published specs. Sounds like not enough oil causing the oil level switch to not make contact and grounding out the ignition.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 10 HP OHV Generator Engine runs rough [ 3 Answers ]

I have a portable generator with a Briggs & Stratton 10HP OHV engine. I store it for months at a time and then add just enough gas to run if for about an hour until it runs out of gas. After two years the engine now runs rough. I have to leave the run/choke switch almost on full choke to keep the...

Briggs & Stratton 12hp No Spark [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1990's B & S 12hp I/C QUIET MOWER ENGINE MDL286707 type 0420-01. The Brand of chassis is unknown (two) questions please (1) the motor produces no spark. I have cleaned the flywheel magnet & coil core. The Coil and spark lead show continuity. Assume the single black lead from the...

Briggs & Stratton NO SPARK [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Im a newbie: I was wondering if anyone had a service diagram for a Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 16hp V twin Points set up. As a spring has come off mine and I don't know where its come from ( a picture is worth a thousand word ). Thank you

12 hp Briggs & Stratton spark plug gap setting [ 2 Answers ]

What is the spark plug gap setting on a 12 hp B&S ? This is an OLD Montgomery Ward PowerKraft rider. Probably late 70's early 80's model.

Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 16HP OHV No Spark? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, Seen several threads along this line but nothing that seems to help me. I have a Briggs & Stratton Model 303777 Vanguard (on a 1994 Snapper SR170 Rider). The engine turns over well, but will not start. I am not getting any "thump" when it turns. I am not hearing any clicking from the...

View more questions Search