Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brwndad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 08:55 PM
    Heat pump and strip wiring
    Recently had my trusty 40 yr old York heat pump replaced under a home warranty contract. The installer said he wired the heat strips to run all time time in heat mode to reduce the run time on the compressors thereby saving electricity and providing a more comfortable 'instant on' heating rather than waiting for the compressor/heat exchanger to warm up along with all the duct work. Sounded odd at the time of install, but he insisted that everyone likes the heat to come on fast and it would save money. Any thoughts? Said he did it with a jumper wire in the tstat.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2010, 09:14 PM
    Well its possible to do,but I thought the use of a heatpump was to give you the needed heat at a fraction of the cost of running strip heat, yes you are getting a much faster heat but where is the savings,you now are paying for the electric to run the hp, plus the expense of heat strip,, don`t think I would want mine wired up that way,,
    brwndad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 09:24 PM

So any idea how to undo this wonderful wiring? I really don't want this guy or his questionable henchmen back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2008 4 ton Goodman heat pump doesn't switch into electric strip heat? [ 18 Answers ]

OK even when its 17*F out I can still here it running at night. So is this a problem? I mean it runs non stop.

Heat strip only gets a little hot on top strip on the bottom it will not get red [ 1 Answers ]

Luxaire heat strip will only get warm on top strip around 70 bottom will not get anything. If you switch the wires, the bottom is warm top has nothing.

Optimum Point for Strip Heat vs. Heat Pump [ 1 Answers ]

My heat pump has electric heat strips for emergency and auxiliary heat. My thermostat is designed to call for strip heat if there is more than a 2 degree difference between the set point and the ambient temperature in the room. It's clear that the efficiency of a heat pump decreases as the...

Heat strip not working on my goodman heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

Heat strip not working on my goodman heat pump

Heat pump heat strip replacement [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Heil heat pump package system in N. FL. Last winter it developed a condition called 'dirty sock' syndrome. We had a professional clean the unit and coat the coil with a white teflon-type paint made for this condition. The remainder of the year the unit did not smell and all summer it was...

View more questions Search