Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mail box Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 06:52 PM
    What does it mean when they say the nuetral carries the unbalanced load?
    In an electrical circuit
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 07:06 PM

Is this a test question on you apprentise testing?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 07:29 PM

Without getting too technical about transformer phases and such...

In a 120v circuit the current on the neutral is equal to the current on the hot.

A true 240v circuit has only two hots and NO neutral. The current is perfectly balanced on the two hots.

A multi-wire circuit is one with two hots and one neutral. The two hots must be placed on different phases/legs of the panel. This way there is 240v between the two hots.
    What happens is if the load is perfectly balanced on the two hots, as in a true 240v circuit, there is 0 current on the neutral. If the load is unbalanced the neutral carries ONLY the amount of imbalance.
    Example:
    Phase A is carrying 12 amps.
    Phase B is carrying 8 amps.
    The neutral is carrying 4 amps.

A single phase residential service is just like one big multi-wire circuit. Two hots and a neutral. The service neutral only carries the current imbalance of the two hots.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2010, 09:09 PM
    Mind if I jump in on this Stan? What happens if the service is 3 phase? How do you calculate the neutral load?
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Jan 24, 2010, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    Mind if I jump in on this Stan? What happens if the service is 3 phase? How do you calculate the neutral load?
    Same principle, only a little more complicated. You balance the load between three phases instead of two, and since the currents are 120 degrees out of phase, you have to add the vectors and the resultant is the unbalanced current.

Please don't make me remember how to add vectors... it has been 30 years since I took trig.

Jan 24, 2010, 09:01 PM
    I know right. I could do it if I had to, but I don't want to. LOL.

Jan 24, 2010, 09:05 PM
    Here. I cheated. ;)

Calculating Unbalanced Neutral Current in 3p-4w system - Mike Holt's Forum
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 03:34 AM
    Knowing where to find backup of what you already know is not cheating.

As electricians we rarely care what the neutral current is on a three phase system, as we know that the neutral is to be considered as a current carrying conductor, esp on a multi-wire circuit, and will always use a full size neutral.

When we deal with single phase loads that produce harmonics, we will use a 200% neutral.

Besides we can use power recorders to measure all three live phases and neutral at the same time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog Carries logs/stones on walks [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My 5 year old labrador often picks up a log ( not a small stick ! Record 5 ft and 13 kgs ) or a large stone and carries it around on his walks. He backs away if I try to take it off him and will happily carry it for 30-45 minutes. He only drops it when we get back home or when we get back to...

Carries shoes, sex and the city [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me where I can find the shoes that carrie is look at through the window in episode 66 of sex and the city, the shoes are for her last date with mr big They are pink Designed by christian loubiton

Adding a nuetral bus to an old main panel [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings... Can I add a neutral bus to my houses main panel... I have one bus in there now that is for both nuetral and ground... when I go to hookup the neutral from my 220 gfci breaker to that bus I keep tripping the breaker... the spa is a 3 wire 2 hots and a ground... the instructions say to...

View more questions Search