Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Jan 23, 2010, 10:48 AM
    What plywood to use for cabinet sides.
    Sorry if this is the wrong group to post this in. I am in the process of building a built-in entertainment system. The face and doors I am building with cherry. The sides of the center will be exposed on the inside only. As I have used cherry veneer in past projects, my plan is to veneer the inside faces of the plywood sides only. My question is, what should I use as this plywood? MDF, OSB, birch, etc. I am guessing not OSB. I used MDF on a previous bathroom vanity, but nothing was exposed or veneered at all. Obviously, I don't plan on using plywood that would be used for exterior sheathing or a floor. Question 2 is what thickness. I am guessing 0.5 or 0.75 inch.

Thanks,
    Rob
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2010, 03:10 PM

The 1/2 inch would be more than enough for a built in unit, probably even a free standing one too if there were nothing heavy being loaded on top.

The smoother the interior face,the better the veneer will come out,obviously cdc ply would be no good,I suggest the birch a/c ply,as the sides won't be showing anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plywood over gypcrete [ 2 Answers ]

Is there anyway to install plywood over gypcrete? If so, what is the best way possible? Thanks Shell

Cutting Plywood [ 9 Answers ]

I am installing the rest of the plywood flooring on the 2nd floor of our house. I have hit a spot where the existing plywood ends about 6" past the stud so when I install the next piece, they will meet over open space. I want to cut the current piece back to the middle of the last stud but don't...

Tiling over plywood [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Thank you for your answers;Clear-Mind-Web &Kstar4u, I can't seem to get my hands on the BC building code. But US code states 1" subfloor. A new problem has arisen about tiling over plywood... I forgot to mention this is also a heated floor which would create a lot more flex with the...

Tiling over plywood [ 2 Answers ]

The bathroom floor to be tiled is 5/8" subfloor with 1/4" ply ontop screwed every 6 inches.Iam trying to convince carpenter that this does not meet code, nor is it a proper base for tiling. I want him to put down hardibacker (1/4") but he has convinced home-owners not necessary. What do I do?...

Question regarding plywood [ 3 Answers ]

I will be installing porcelain tiles in a small bath and want to use 3/4" exterior plywood over the subfloor. I will covering that with Ditra matting. I went to Home Depot and the only 23/32" I could find was "Certified sanded". It looked real nice on the sanded side but it was not tonque and...

View more questions Search