Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gia Alasandra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 10:42 AM
    Is it a HIPPA if my spouse uses medical records in court?
    I have been with my spouse for 10yrs and she and I are in the middle of a custody battle of a child that is both legally ours. My mother died tragically 1.5yrs ago and I had an episode of medications that may have caused this and I stated to police I wanted to be with my mom. I was completely out of it and they stated I was suicidal-I was forced to sign myself into a psychiatric ward-I was released in 2 days and they realized my diagnosis suggested I was not suicidal, but depressed due to death of mom. My spouse was able to get that medical record from my car and use it for the court hearing stating I am a threat to my son and that I do not have any time alone with him. Is this a HIPPAA? If so, why would the court allow her to use that against me? She also had me on her benefits and copied all medications I filled in 1.5 yrs and said I was a drug addict .All medication I had was legal. Is that a HIPPA? I never authorized her to have access to them or use them- even though she can view them under her prescription plan. Please help. I am in NJ if that helps.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 11:27 AM

No, your wife is not subject to the regulations of HIPPA. It regulates care providers, insurers, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my medical records [ 14 Answers ]

Recently ,I found out that after losing my insurance for three years (medicaid) when I went to the doctor(lame description) they had somehow misplaced all my records.Even the lame doctor who I saw said she was aghast about the whole thing.. PLEASE! She was a horrible doctor! Lost my Medicaid...

Stolen Medical Records [ 1 Answers ]

I am going through a nasty divorce and custody battle. My husband has make several false claims about me during our divorce and has went as far as stalking to obtain information to use against me in Court. Recently our conversation became heated after he refused to pick our son up from preschool at...

Mailing medical records [ 4 Answers ]

I recently left a message at my physicians office requesting results from my recent labwork I had done. I later found out that my Actual Medical Records were mailed out to me, but I did not get them because they were sent to the wrong address. I didn't think that they were even allowed to mail out...

Medical Records forgery [ 1 Answers ]

I worked for a medical practice in medical records and the physician would require us to alter records to prevent any legal action against him. What avenue can I pursue to turn him in for this?

Medical records [ 1 Answers ]

Does HIPPA affect the person to have access to their medical records?

View more questions Search