Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    turnbuckle2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 07:34 AM
    What is distance between step and ceiling
    I know that there are local codes for this and I'm not going to hold anyone to their answer. I'm curious what distance is generally the minimum I'd be looking for from step to corner of the ceiling. I want to change the direction of my basement stairs and have some duct work in the way.
    Thanks!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2010, 09:49 AM

For comfortable head clearance, front of stair tread should be 80 inches from ceiling.

Don't know what code is in your area. U can check code with your building dept.

Good luck

Chuck
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Jan 24, 2010, 01:26 PM

6 foot 8 inches is standard

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Distance from a spot light to ceiling of a cloud [ 2 Answers ]

The distance from the ground to the underside of a cloud is called the ceiling. A ground observer 950 m from a searchlight aimed vertically upward notes that the angle of elevation of the spot of light on a cloud is 76 degrees. What is the ceiling to the nearest meter?

How do I do heavy knock down ceiling texture,step by step an do I mix sand in with [ 1 Answers ]

How do I do a heavy knockdown on a ceiling,I have a sprayer but just can't figure out what I am doing wrong,do I need to mix sand in with the joint compound,

Step-Father Signed both Prenup and Postnup Agreements to Support Step-Child [ 6 Answers ]

My husband signed both a prenuptial and a post-nuptial agreement to educate, maintain and support my children, his step-children. My husband sued me and my children (his step-children) over the agreements several years back but changed his mind and signed a release of all claims, an agreed...

Critical Distance is Pipe Length or Literal Distance? [ 2 Answers ]

Is critical distance measurement based on the literal distance from a trap to the vent stack, or the total length pipe from the trap to the vent? In other words, if the trap is 4 feet from the vent, but the drain pipe from the trap to the branch that has the vent connected to it is 10 feet, is the...

View more questions Search