Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sky4601 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2010, 08:21 PM
    99 ford taurus starter will spin, but not turn over motor
    New battery, new starter, sounds like a blender with nothing in it, it just spins. Will not turn motor.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 08:30 PM

Is there a grinding noise or just the sound of the motor running ? Its possible you got a bad starter. Is the bendix moving at all ?

Jan 22, 2010, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Is there a grinding noise or just the sound of the motor running ? Its possible you got a bad starter. Is the bendix moving at all ?
    No grinding, bendix kicks out, it was when we tested it at the store. I had the old one tested 3 times, 2 good, 1 failed. Do you think the motor is seized up?
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 08:45 PM

If its not turning the motor over and you can hear the starter working then its not engaiging. The only other thing it can be would be a bad ring gear. But if the starter is new it should catch a little.

Jan 22, 2010, 08:47 PM
    If its not turning the motor over and you can hear the starter working then its not engaiging. The only other thing it can be would be a bad ring gear. But if the starter is new it should catch alittle.
    From what I could see, rings are fine in the area the starter is sitting. The car sat up for the last 3 months, been sitting for almost a year, but it stopping starting 3 months ago, got it from my Aunt, trying to get it running for my cousin graduating next fall.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 08:51 PM

Have you tried a different starter ?
    It could be that the new one is failing under load. From what your saying its just spinning when you turn the key correct ?

Jan 22, 2010, 08:56 PM

Yes sir. That is what I was telling the guys that tested my old starter, there testers do not have a load on the bendix, they just check the silonoid and see the bindix kick.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 09:00 PM

That's what I thought. You might ask them to trade you a starter. It sounds like its failing under load for some reason. You should also look to see how the gear is attatched but don't take the starter apart until you feel your at a point of no return with the parts people. The reason being it would void any chances of returning it.

Jan 22, 2010, 09:03 PM
    Thats what I thought. You might ask them to trade you a starter. It sounds like its failing under load for some reason. You should also look to see how the gear is attatched but dont take the starter apart until you feel your at a point of no return with the parts people. The reason being it would void any chances of returning it.
    Well I am not professional when it comes to mechanics, but I do know a thing are 2. I am already about at wits end with them guys. Thanks for your input, I will let you know what I find out.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 09:06 PM

There are only a few things that can cause that type of condition. The starter fails under load. Severe ring gear wear. Or a clearence problem.. the gear can't touch the ring gear. But if everything looked the same as old one then its most likely a starter failure. It does happen.

Jan 22, 2010, 09:08 PM
    There are only a few things that can cause that type of condition. The starter fails under load. Severe ring gear wear. Or a clearence problem .. the gear can't touch the ring gear. But if everything looked the same as old one then its most likely a starter failure. It does happen.
    That would be my luck, trying to help someone else and I have the headache's. Thanks man.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 09:12 PM

No good deed goes unturned.. lol

Good Luck!!

Jan 22, 2010, 09:14 PM
    no good deed goes unturned .. lol

Good Luck !!!
    This is true, thanks.

I do maintenance for a living, so I have kicked out a few ideas to a few folks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starter on a Ford Taurus [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone tell me is there a way to get your starter to work so I can get my car home or to a garage. I know it's the starter because I don't even get a click with it when I turn the key and my battery is still very strong. Is there not a way to bang the starter to get it to go? Please help...

Replaced water pump 2003 Ford Taurus, won't turn now [ 3 Answers ]

I just replaced the water pump on my moms Taurus and now the part the belt goes around won't turn. Can anyone tell me why and or what to do?

Starter turns but will not turn motor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mtd 12.5 hp riding mower... I have done all tests on switch solenoid and by passed these and the starter mower will take off but when it engages to flywheel it seems to stop turning... the flywheel is not hard to turn therefore I'm thinking it still might be starter... the starter turns...

94 ford taurus [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the speed sensor located ?

91 ford Taurus [ 3 Answers ]

I have No Power going to the Starter Headlights or Brake Lights is there a grounding strap or something that could be the problem PLEASE HELP

View more questions Search