Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edirect Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2006, 06:57 PM
    Partnership went bad
    Hi,

I lives with my boyfriend about 10 years now. We are not married, but we live like a marriage couple. I pay all household expense half. The only thing I did not pay is the down payment for the house which he brought it 10 years ago when we met. The relationship has gone bad. He has tried to cheat on me with other stranger. I just found out the details. He denies it but I have all the evidence.

What kind of right do I have if we split up? Do I lose everything? We live in New York.

Please help!
    kyop Posts: 48, Reputation: 11

Nov 21, 2006, 11:49 AM
    New York will generally allow for an equal division of assets upon termination of cohabitation. In some cases they will even allow for "palimony" (not an actual legal term) which is one partner having to pay the other partner a certain monetary allowance every month so that the partner may maintain a similar lifestyle to what they were accustomed to. Regarding the property; if you can't come to an amicable agreement, get a lawyer. You are certainly entitled to half of what was acquired over the past 10 years as long as you were equally contributing.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Nov 22, 2006, 04:22 PM
    I would speak with an attorney. No one else can better explain your options.

For the record: In most cases Ive seen, and most lawyers have told me that any "cheating" or adultury alligations don't really amount too much in court. Its all about money. If you two make about the same, then you can probobly just cash in and walk, if someone makes significantly higher than the other, someone is going ot have to pay. Depends on where the money is at.

I have heard of very few men that receive alimony, so you may have an ace in your pocket there.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Nov 22, 2006, 04:42 PM
    Common law marriages... in New York are challenged here are some websites... I found it interesting... addressing the issues of common law marriages in New York

http://www.divorcesource.com/NY/ARTICLES/nowak3.html

http://www.ct-divorce.com/Commlaw.htm

http://www.divorcesource.com/researc...97oct193.shtml
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2006, 09:12 AM
    It all depends on whether New York is a "common-law" state, as they say. If it is, then you'd be entitled to a share of all assets that you shared during your live-in relationship as I'm sure that 10 years would be plenty of time for any common-law statute or precedent to apply. Check with an attorney to be sure.
    edirect Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2006, 11:48 AM
    Thanks a lot for all the advices.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dissolution of a Partnership by Liquidation [ 3 Answers ]

Hey can anyone help on the this question? Please The following balance sheet information is given for the Snowbird partnership: Snowbird Partnership Balance Sheet Cash 8 000 l Liabilities 22 000...

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Marriage Partnership going bad [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I own 2 companies 50/50 that are doing very well. He has been straggling with alcoholism and drug addiction for the last 15 years. This past summer his problems worsen and began to Withdrawal Company funds to support his habits. The withdrawals were of thousands of dollars. Once I...

View more questions Search