Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pie_eyes420 View Post
    sometimes small towns dont have a vet, so they have no choice but to atleast seek help online.,. some people have to travel three hours to the nearest vet.... why do you care anyways. its not you or your animals, so why even let it bother you?
    Because we're the ones that deal with the questions and know that the only solution is to go to a vet.

I would travel three hours to ensure the health of my pet. I'd travel further then that.

When you adopt an animal, you make a commitment to that animal. It's a living, breathing, feeling being. To deny your animal the care it needs is abuse. Would you deny a child medical care? Of course not!

If you can't afford a vet, don't get a pet!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 09:56 AM

I care because it emotionally drains me when I see stupid questions, that regardless if I lived 3 hours away from a local vet (hard to beleive), I would make that trip. I treat my animals like my kids. If your child/loved one was bleeding from it's anus, would you seek medical help or Google it to guess at the best answer?
    I care because people who live 3 hours away from a vet should understand that there may come a time when their animal needs emergency medical treatment, not even emergency, but just plain medical treatment.
    I care because I have a heart, and it worries me to think of the way these animals are treated.
    I care because every week when I go to the local shelter to volunteer my time, I ALWAYS see new additions, and they almost always have some sad pathetic excuse pined to the leash their "owners" used to tie them to the doors, saying how, "oh poor muffy, best dog we ever owned, my son has allergies, I can't afford to take him to the vet, he has been bleeding from the bum for months now, and now he wont use the potty out side, and we just had our carpets cleaned, or he got too big, we wanted a small lap dog we could carry around, and now she doesnt fit out life styles".
    I care because ignorance is no excuse, and maybe, just maybe if these people live that far away from a vet, they should get a fish!
    Seeking guidance in issues like training, opinions, fine, but would you seek medical advice online for an issue you had?
    pie_eyes420 Posts: 12, Reputation: -6

Jan 22, 2010, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Because we're the ones that deal with the questions and know that the only solution is to go to a vet.

I would travel three hours to ensure the health of my pet. I'd travel further then that.

When you adopt an animal, you make a commitment to that animal. It's a living, breathing, feeling being. To deny your animal the care it needs is abuse. Would you deny a child medical care? Of course not!

If you can't afford a vet, don't get a pet!

Yea, I feel the same. I'm not disagreeing with you...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pie_eyes420 View Post
    sometimes small towns dont have a vet, so they have no choice but to atleast seek help online.,. some people have to travel three hours to the nearest vet.... why do you care anyways. its not you or your animals, so why even let it bother you?

Let's see - I've answered questions over 19,000 times. You've answered 10. I have probably answered questions about critically ill animals in excess of 250 times. You?

I care because I care if any animal suffers, whether it's mine or someone else's. That's what compassion is all about. I also was very active in animal rescue at one time. I saw things I still don't even want to think about.

Suffering should bother everybody or else the World (in the mess it's in), as we know it, is doomed.

You have posted that you have "dreams" of killing animals (dogs, from what I read) by kicking them down the stairs and/or breaking their necks. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/medica...ml#post2188580. In that post you have no aggression toward animals; then you come here and post that you don't know why anyone cares about suffering.

You have problems which this site cannot solve and you need to consult with a medical professional. I also think whether your "dreams" have ever been reality should be checked by your local Police Department/Animal Rescue Society.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 10:22 AM

Unfortunately there are a lot of owners who just don't care enough about their dogs to take them to the vet. I still think that vet costs are too expensive.. I don't think it should matter what your household income is to own a pet... This is the same issue I'm sure with kids...

I think if you are proactively trying to get help for your dog and asking questions, then you have the right to own a dog... If you let it die in the backyard due to a common disease such as parvo, or Canine Influenza.. then no, don't own a dog..

I will never tell someone they're not good enough to own a dog. There are too many circumstances that none of us will ever understand on why certain people didn't take their dogs to the vet...
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I wonder what funky name they would come up with for a staffy boxer mix?
    American Pitt Bull Terrier. If you breed enough of them, you can get it recognized. Thank you Michael Vick (et al.)
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 10:26 AM

No one is saying that anyone is not good enugh, but come on!
    People need to start taking responsibilities for their actions. I am SO tired of these bleeding heart librels saying "don't judge me, I made a mistake, I am too ignorant to know any better" It's a sad excuse, and only the poor defensless animals are the ones to suffer.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 10:29 AM

Ah Catsmine, always on the ball, didn't think of that one. Touché.
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 10:40 AM

Lucky, vet bills are expensive, but what is complaining about them going to do? I agree that vets are expensive, but I care about my pets enough to pay that expense and no, I'm not rich, far from it. We live pay check to pay check but we have the money for the important things and my pets are important.

When people come here asking health questions about their pet, what do they expect? What if it is parvo and we can diagnose it? They'll still need to go to the vet for treatment, or watch the dog die. They can obviously afford internet access, but not a vet? They need to get their priorities straight.

Bottom line, if you can't afford a vet, don't get a pet! If you cannot afford a doctor, don't have kids. If you cannot afford a Porsche, buy a Ford.

It's not brain surgery. It's common sense.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Unfortunately there are a lot of owners who just dont care enough about their dogs to take them to the vet. I still think that vet costs are too expensive.. I dont think it should matter what your household income is to own a pet... This is the same issue I'm sure with kids...

I think if you are proactively trying to get help for your dog and asking questions, then you have the right to own a dog... If you let it die in the backyard due to a common disease such as parvo, or Canine Influenza.. then no, dont own a dog..

I will never tell someone they're not good enough to own a dog. There are too many circumstances that none of us will ever understand on why certain people didnt take their dogs to the vet...

I don't care about the reasons - I really don't. If you don't have the money to take care of a child or a pet, then you have no business having/owning one.

Suffering is suffering and the economic reason makes no difference.

I cannot believe your total indifference to suffering. And you work in rescue?
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 11:11 AM

I have to spread the rep Judy.

Lucky, you said in another post that you weren't put on this earth to help in the destruction of animals. That's what you said to me when I told you that I had volunteered at the shelter on D day and helped in the euthanasia room.

Do you not realize that making excuses for people not seeking vet care for their pets is the same thing as advoacting the destruction of animals?

Personally I'd rather have an animal get a needle and peacefully fall asleep then to watch an animal suffer through a horrible disease because the person that adopted him/her won't take the poor animal to the vet.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 11:23 AM

Putting an animal out of it's misery is by far more humane then sitting idley by watching him suffer.
    It's understandable to not want to TAKE part in the process, but to be true to the animal you must be part of the process. Meaning knowing what's right and wrong.
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Putting an animal out of it's misery is by far more humane then sitting idley by watching him suffer.
    It's understandable to not want to TAKE part in the process, but to be true to the animal you must be part of the process. Meaning knowing what's right and wrong.
    Exactly!

If you really love animals then you have to accept that sometimes you'll be forced to do something you may not want to do. Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's not necessary. I couldn't handle it, but I really respect the volunteers that do handle it every day. They offer a service to those animals that no one will ever understand, until they decide to do it. Holding an animal while it's dying, petting that animal, talking to that animal, trying to make the last few minutes ones of peace, calm and love, it takes a lot of strength and compassion to do it.

You also have to accept that really taking care of your animal involves spending money for vet care. There is no other option. Yes it's expensive, but anyone that does their research before adopting an animal will know the costs. If they decide to adopt knowing they can't afford vet care, or aren't willing to spend that kind of money, then they aren't responsible pet owners and in my opinion they shouldn't have an animal.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 11:31 AM
    What gets me are the kids who ask for help because their parents don't want to take the animal to the vet.

It is one thing to ask for help as you are trying to get the animal to the vet or the animal is being treated (at the vet or back home) and you want clarification/reassurance. It is another to do nothing more than post a question on a website where you may not get an answer in time to save the animal's life.

I understand there are parts of the world where vets are few and far between (or at least ones that can treat your type of animal-I had a goat break his leg. Two hour trip to a vet that handled large animals and was open on a Sunday.) However, an emergency is an emergency. How many times could that two/three hour trip have been made in the two weeks that the animal was bleeding?
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 11:41 AM

When we first moved to Canada we started going camping at this site near Athabasca. The town of Athabasca is small and the camp site was around 1 hour drive from there. They have one vet and he's only in occasionally.

The owner of the camp site always had dogs. When we first started going he had two German Shepherds (mother and son) and a little sheltie. The dogs were very good about having campers come and go, nevertheless there was an accident one day. The Sheltie got hit by a truck.

She was badly injured, bleeding everywhere, parts of her skin torn off her body. Just moving her made her yelp in pain. The campsite owner was beside himself. My father was asked to help him decide. My dad (who grew up with animals) took one look at the dog and said "even if you get her to the vet I don't think she'll make it, she'll probably bleed to death before you even get into town. She's suffering".

So the campsite owner (who later became a very good friend of ours and is to this day) took the sheltie into the woods and shot her. He did what he had to do so she wouldn't suffer. I didn't understand it then, in fact I was very upset and wouldn't talk to him for years afterwards, until I finally understood why he did it and my father finally told me that Jim (the campsite owner) had gone directly to his house afterwards because he was crying.

Jim buried the little Sheltie in the woods and, until the day that he sold the campsite, there were always flowers on the grave and a beautiful hand carved cross with her name on it.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 11:41 AM

Yup I feel for those kids, who are trying to get help for their beloved pet. I could never deny my kids their happiness.
    Sad story:
    When I was a kid, I always wanted to be a Vet. I lived in this small town where the boys would make home made sling shots and shoot pebbles at the birds.
    I would be out there, picking up these poor bleeding dying birds and running home with them, putting them on my mother kitchen table sobbing, choking, thinking my heart was literally breaking. My mom would be right there beside me with kleenex, tweezers and her rubber gloves on seeing if there was something we could do. Most times, the birds had died of either a heart attack or from bleeding out. But let me tell you there was more then a few times that my father had to do the "right thing". I would bawl for hours.
    My parents would never deny me these simple things. They knew it was heart breaking for me to see these poor birds die, but they always tried their best to help.
    At one time in out garage we had 6 pigeons, 2 sparrows, and a crow.
    And one of those pigeons never learned to fly, the vet said (yes he went to vet more then once) that the bird would have never survived in the wild. And to me as a kid, hearing that was amazing. It made up for all those birds that I couldn't save. The pigeon lived for 4 years in a rabbit run in the basement.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 11:46 AM

IM NOT MAKING EXCUSES!! There is NO EXCUSE to watch an animal suffer... I think in the real world.. NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO DO THE RIGHT THING!! Instead of badgering those people and putting them down and making them feel like a horrible person, EDUCATE...

I understand that dogs that are stuck in a no kill shelter for years on end should be put down.. I understand that its more humane that way... I understand that making an animal live a miserable life is no life at all.. I understand that the dog should rather be dead then stuck on the end of a chain for its entire life getting food MAYBE once a week.

What Im saying... is what about those people who AT THE TIME had the money to spend on the dog... All of a sudden they lost their jobs... Should they give up their one and only friend?

Maybe people on here are just asking questions about what is wrong with their dogs. Maybe they want to know what's wrong with their dog before they go to the vet... and have something to talk to the vet about instead of "My dog is crapping blood".

EVERYTHING is circumstantial. No matter what the situation... ANd yes, I am very aware of the dumb dog owners (pardon my language) out there who probably don't deserve a single thing they have.. But guess what.. Despite what anyone on this website has to say, those people still own dogs... and they will continue to own dogs and will continue to do the wrong thing until the people who take upon themselves stand up and EDUCATE that person in a NICE, MATURE way...

And quite honestly, I would rather adopt a dog to a poor person who is going to give their everything to that dog, then a rich person who is gone 10 hrs a day...

I have more compassion for dogs than you realize... I'm sorry if my compassion doesn't come out on words on a forum.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 11:53 AM

And another story, Lucky you may think this one is bad.

The hardest thing I have ever done in my life, was to have my dog Slash put down, at the young age of 9 months.
    From a puppy slash was aggressive. We had him obeidience classes, Bark Busters, we even spent a ton of money on an animal behaviourst, who in turn told us to get him put down due to his aggresion issues.
    I could not bare to think of this. One day when we were at out camp Slash bit my good friend on the arm, drew blood, and then LUNGED for a 4 year old boy, bearing teeth.These people were no strangers to him, and they had been around from the day I brought Slash home. Slash was part shepard part Bull mastif. I have a 2 year old daughter at home.
    The decision had to be made. THis dog weighed almost 100lbs at 7 months. By this point we had spent $300 on the neuter, $400 on bark Busters $180 on obeidience classes, and $265 on the behaviourst.
    The decision was made to put Slash down. I went in there and honestly I say this with out conviction, I knew I had done the right thing. I think about him almost every day. I feel terrible about his outcome. Could I risk the death of a child due to my gross negelct? Neglectful in the ways that I knew he was aggressive, and had displayed aggression towards adults and kids. No I couldn't.
    It was the worst day of my life, but I do not regret my decision.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    IM NOT MAKING EXCUSES!!! There is NO EXCUSE to watch an animal suffer... I think in the real world.. NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO DO THE RIGHT THING!!! Instead of badgering those people and putting them down and making them feel like a horrible person, EDUCATE...

I understand that dogs that are stuck in a no kill shelter for years on end should be put down.. I understand that its more humane that way... I understand that making an animal live a miserable life is no life at all.. I understand that the dog should rather be dead then stuck on the end of a chain for its entire life getting food MAYBE once a week.

What Im saying... is what about those people who AT THE TIME had the money to spend on the dog... All of a sudden they lost their jobs... Should they give up their one and only friend??

Maybe people on here are just asking questions about what is wrong with their dogs. Maybe they want to know whats wrong with their dog before they go to the vet... and have something to talk to the vet about instead of "My dog is crapping blood".

EVERYTHING is circumstantial. No matter what the situation... ANd yes, I am very aware of the dumb dog owners (pardon my language) out there who probably dont deserve a single thing they have.. But guess what.. Despite what anyone on this website has to say, those people still own dogs... and they will continue to own dogs and will continue to do the wrong thing until the people who take upon themselves stand up and EDUCATE that person in a NICE, MATURE way....

And quite honestly, I would rather adopt a dog to a poor person who is going to give their everything to that dog, then a rich person who is gone 10 hrs a day....

I have more compassion for dogs than you realize....I'm sorry if my compassion doesnt come out on words on a forum.

And that is exactly what people on this forum are doing. Educating.
    THis is not a subject to be candy coated.
    The people I have seen always get their advice, as to what may be wrong. But along with the advice comes the hard ugly truth.
    When you have animal, expenses come along with that. Plain plump and simple.
    It doesn't matter what the situation is. People need to understand the truth. Whether it comes across as "nice and mature" or hard up, straight up facts. Sometimes that's what hits home for people.
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 12:04 PM

Lucky, we do educate. Sadly there are only so many times that you can tell someone not to breed their pet, get yelled at by that person, and then move on to the next. Sooner or later it starts to get to you and you are no longer nice about it.

Ignorance is bliss. If people would educate themselves then we wouldn't have to. I never adopt a pet without knowing everything about that pet, how to care for it, the cost of food, bedding, toys, accessories, vet care, spay/neuter costs etc. etc. etc. I've never impulse bought a pet, even Cotton, the pet store bunny, was planned months before we actually got a rabbit. His cage was already set up at home with all the accessories, all the toys and food and water dishes. You name it. The only impulse was to get him from the pet store instead of going to the shelter, but I had a weak moment, I couldn't leave that poor little 4 week old bunny there. Yes, 4 weeks old!

He's by far the most expensive bunny I have, not only the cost of purchasing him ($60) but also the cost of having him neutered ($300). The shelter bunnies were already fixed when we adopted them and we paid $25/each.

Bottom line, why can't people do their research? Why do they hide their heads in the sand and pretend that they're not part of the problem when they breed or when they don't get vet care for the pets in their care?

I know that it's not realistic to think we'll get through to everyone, but if we can educate just one person, get just one person to understand, well, I'm okay with that. One person at a time. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search