Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    papo5555 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2010, 07:05 AM
    Judgement proof in Florida
    How to answer judgement papers served.Been disable since 4/09 SSDI aproved my disability.I owned a house that's upside down I owned one vehicle worth maybe $1900
    Can they take our furniture for sheriff sale.My question actually what I'm I facing
    Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 07:13 AM

I don't think there are interested in anyone's furniture, vehicle, etc. That will not even pay their costs to initiate this sort of action. They are more interested in garnishing your bank account to retrieve a debt. They are allowed to do that after receiving a judgment against you. I suggest you stop having your benefits automatically deposited in the bank and have everything mailed to you at your home. Any money in the bank, from whatever source, can be taken.

It is either your own personal debit, or it isn't. Do you have proof that it isn't your debt ? They will have proof if they have your signed contract on a loan, etc. that was defaulted on.

Tick
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by papo5555 View Post
    How to answer judgement papers served.Been disable since 4/09 SSDI aproved my disability.I owned a house thats upside down I owned one vehicle worth maybe $1900
    can they take our furniture for sheriff sale.My question actually what I'm I facing
    thanx
    Most of the time, they will not bother trying to seize your personal property because the process is complicated and can get expensive.

They can place a lien on anything that has your name on it. I'm not sure what you mean by "I owned a house that's upside down." Do you still own the house?

Also, what were you served exactly? Was it paperwork stating that you were being sued? Or were you aware of a pending lawsuit and just didn't show up, thereby resulting in a default judgment being placed against you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Told I am Judgement Proof due to SSDI income only, but. [ 1 Answers ]

I receive only SSDI income and have no assets whatsoever. I was told by Legal Aid Society I was "Judgement Proof." I would like to save money for I can get a place of my own. I am currently staying with friends. Here are my brief questions, please. May I save money in a Savings Account? And...

Does plaintiff have to show proof, to obtain default judgement [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons to small claims for a frivolous lawsuit. I know that not showing up is a reason for a default judgement to be issued against me. But if the plaintiff will have to show proof to his claim, I'm certain he won't be able to. What is the law/practive in NYC small claims? Does the...

Foreclosure, bankruptcy and being Judgement proof [ 4 Answers ]

So here is the situation of myself and my fiancé. I live in Canada, but she lives in California, and recently she was kicked out of the house she bought a while back due to missed mortgage payments and the resulting foreclosure. We managed to find a place to rent in the same town, with her mother...

Judgement Proof [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I just found this site and really think it's very helpful to all it's users. Here is my problem... I was diagnosed with lung cancer back in Oct. 2007. I had my left lung removed. While I was out on medical my job was cut due to contracts not being renewed. It has been a tough seven months so I...

Mediation Hearing and being judgement proof [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am new to this site and am panicked about a mediation hearing that I have to attend tomorrow. I moved to Florida in 2004 and shortly after, my financial situation became so bad that I could not pay my mortgage and my credit card debt. I as barely able to pay for immeiate living expenses. My...

View more questions Search