Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 06:36 PM
    Just feeling really down.
    Hi everyone,

Lately I've been feeling really down. Like everything is getting on top of me and there is not much I can do about it.

I know this is a regular enough occurrence. I am just wondering, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get yourself out of a funk?

There are a few concrete reasons for me to be a bit down but I want out. I hate this feeling!

Thanks.
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 07:30 PM

You may feel awfull, but why not try to point out a few positive things to make yourself feel better?

Sit down with yourself quietly to clear your head... Think with your head, not with your feelings- feelings are often decpetive and can lead us into a 'funk.'

If you must, talk to yourself outloud, and tell yourself positive truth. i.e.. "I may FEEL awful, but in reality (insert positive statement.)"

A lot of times, confusion about emotions can be straightened out by taking better care of ourselves, and disciplining our mind and thoughts. Take some time to settle down, and look out for number one. Best of luck and every happieness to you!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 08:00 AM

The best answer the medical field has ever given me, the one I was reluctant to do as it took effort on my part, is exercise, simply walking, stretching,little things which look monstrous when I am in that state of mind.

The body produces endorphins which fight the fatigue,the depression,the dragging feelings associated with feeling down.

I(eventually),got off my butt and out the door, I had said repeatedly,"I know better,I can get out of this if I just...",and I would stay in the funk.Hmmm

It really is that simple,give it a try.:)
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 10:42 AM

Thanks guys :)

I have been getting out and walking, I live beside the Atlantic Ocean so it's beautiful and I have been trying... I think to be honest, I'm just lonely.

(God, does that sound as bad as I think it does?! )
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2010, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by neverme View Post

I have been getting out and walking, I live beside the Atlantic Ocean so it's beautiful and I have been trying...I think to be honest, I'm just lonely.

(God, does that sound as bad as I think it does?!!)
    Nah, I used t need the dog to give me incentive to go for walks, he isn't here anymore,but the memories have served me well:)
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 24, 2010, 03:04 AM

It's all about balance, and being able to put the bad stuff aside, and enjoy life in equal portions.

None of us get by without being in a funky blue mood once in a while. There are some months I feel like the Funk Queen, and it is hard to shake the thoughts, especially if some of those thoughts have guilt attached to them.

One thing you might try is a diary. Get a notebook, and write out your day, thoughts, events, anything that has contributed to this funky mood you are in. When you get it written out, then put it away until the next day.

You will find that over time that is a very effective way of making sense out of the mood. When you have dealt with it, instead of letting it deal with you, you will find you feel a lot more in control.

Sometimes we are our own best therapists.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2010, 12:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by neverme View Post

I have been getting out and walking, I live beside the Atlantic Ocean so it's beautiful and I have been trying...I think to be honest, I'm just lonely.

(God, does that sound as bad as I think it does?!!)
    It's OK to be lonely and in a funk- the thing is to see it as a stage in your life, not something that is permanent. I've felt like you do many, many times and the thing that has got me through is remembering that I got through other times that were bad, sad or mad.

Usually what I want to do is hide under the doona, but getting out really helps. Walking in the sun, or sitting in a café reading a book or even chatting to the check-out chick. Making contact with nature and with people (even if just in a small way) eases the dark or lonely feelings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sore feeling or swollen feeling in vaginal opening, white thick substance [ 3 Answers ]

For the past 2 days my vaginal opening has felt swollen and sore, and slightly itchy. Today some kind of fluid came out of it and got my pants wet, like I had spilled water on them, and I noticed when I went to the restroom, that there was a LOT of w thick like stuff all over my vagina lips, and...

What is he feeling [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, so me and my boyfriend have been together for 4 months. Not too long I know.. but we've been talking and seeing each other since April. We had a little break for a month but once he "realized what he wanted" we started talking again (in June.) I'm just going to start from the beginning so you...

Feeling really down. [ 4 Answers ]

I'm feeling really down at the moment and just wondering if getting it out on here will help at all. I was with my boyfriend for 4years, but I wasn't happy and thought it best to get out of the relationship while I was still young and could move on. So About 2months ago I moved from my 2bedroom...

What to do about this feeling? [ 1 Answers ]

So Its winter break and I should be happy to finally be away from school for a while. Its strange then that I can't even feel a twinge of good will from anyone. Maybe its just me but I feel totally alienated from my friends. My family has been very kind but often a bit rude to me. Since christmas I...

What is this feeling? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 5 weeks and this is my third. I have this pinching feeling in my vigina. Is this normal? Also everyone says you get tired in early pregnant but I don't feel tired at all. Is this normal?

View more questions Search