Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Jan 21, 2010, 01:10 PM
    Monitor going to sleep
    In the last few weeks we have suddenly been unable to use our desktop computer at home. Every time the computer turns on a box appears on the monitor saying no VGA input and puts itself to sleep. What could the problem be and what could have caused it? Is it the monitor, cord or something else? We have tried everything to make it work. All of the cords and such are securely placed and there's no evident damage anywheres. The computer is 3 years old and an HP.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxkit View Post
    Is it the monitor, cord or something else?
    Could be any of the three. Beg or borrow another monitor to determine if the problem is the monitor or the video output of the computer. Cables are rarely a problem unless they have been abused. If the computer appears to be going through its normal startup routine with beeps, noises, and the hard drive light flashing, it is probably the monitor. If the computer once powered just sits there and the drive light has no activity, the computer itself is suspect. Also, if the monitor has multiple inputs, confirm the wrong input wasn't inadvertently selected while dusting, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No VGA Signal - Monitor Going To Sleep [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I am having problems with my monitor! The PC works fine for an unspecified period but then all of a sudden the monitor will flash up the message "No VGA Input Signal" and will then go to sleep. There seems to be no way of getting the PC to wake up again once it's done this and I'm left...

Screen shows black streaks, then monitor goes to sleep. [ 2 Answers ]

After I turn on my computer, I get online, the monitor shows black streaks, then monitor goes to sleep mode. Sent to troubleshooting it says error message; stop 0x000000ea thread_stuck_in_device_driver(q293078). Something about need updated device drive for video card. Does anyone know what this...

Computer freezes after monitor sleep mode [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I need your help. I am running a windows XP pro and have recently encountered the following problem. When my monitor(only) goes into sleep mode for an extended period it refuses to restart when I attempt to touch any of the keys. Reboot does not solve the problem since I am ...

Monitor In Sleep Mode, Everything Else Running [ 5 Answers ]

Yeah, I know there's numerous threads with the same problem... That's how I found this place ;) I read through them all and didn't get anything new so I decided to post a new thread... Here's the story... I'm building a new computer for my mom, all the components are brand new from either...

View more questions Search