Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JFormby Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Jan 21, 2010, 01:09 PM
    # of Roth IRA/IRA and Contributions
    Can anyone in the banking business tell me if it is true that you can only contribute $6,000.00 a year to your IRA Savings Account? Can you contribute more $? Can you have more than one IRA and more than one Roth IRA and contribute all that you want to contribute each year?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 02:17 PM

The limit for ALL your IRA contributions is the minimum of (a) your taxable compensation, or (b) $5000 ($6000 if you are age 50 or older). This can be split between traditional or Roth IRA accounts, but the total must be no more than $5K (or $6K). So no - you can't exceed that amount, even if you have multiple accounts. You can read about it here: http://www.irs.gov/retirement/partic...188232,00.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roth IRA Contributions [ 5 Answers ]

If you have a Roth IRA and have been contributing to it for a few years and then one year you get _lots_ of overtime and your wife starts to work and combined you make more than the maximum, are you then not allowed to contribute to it? Or is it that you cannot start a Roth if you exceed the...

Traditional & Roth IRA contributions [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I work full time. We are over 50 years of age and have separate IRA's. Together we will gross over $160,000, but our adjusted income will be less than that amount. Based on the information provided, what is the maximum amount we can contribute individually to our traditional and Roth...

Roth IRA contributions [ 1 Answers ]

I have contributed $4000 in my Roth IRA for 2006. Now I find out that it would be better for me to pay the income tax on an inherited annuity rather than having the estate pay the higher income tax rate. The annuity will be about $175,000, and that would put me over the limit for contributing...

View more questions Search