Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsl ask Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 12:39 PM
    Why would someone close off the bathroom sinks drain in sink overflow holes
    Our house is 40 years old with the original bathroom sink... There is an overflow hole on the top inside of the sink, which is still open with water in it and smells... Some one closed off with metal on the overflow drain in the pipe you can see where the holes were... We unblocked one on the surface but cannot get high enough to open it up... Why would they want to close this off (The original owners at the time)
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 03:37 PM

Some people like to close overflow holes to be able to fill sink higher than with overflow hole open. But I would recommend that you open it and leave it open. Overflow hole is a good safety device and can prevent lots of damage caused by overflowing sink.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Sink drain overflow into dishwasher drain hose. [ 4 Answers ]

I replaced my GE Triton Profile Performance dishwasher and installed a new Bosch SHE55M0 today. After completing the installation, I ran my sink faucet, and noticed that some water was passing back through the dishwasher drain hose back toward the direction of the dishwasher. The only reason that...

No overflow bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently installed a bathroom sink. This one has no hole for the overflow, and no holes for the faucets so basically only one hole for the drain. Is there a specific way to do this type of plumbing since the water takes a very long time to go down.

My bathroom sinks will not drain [ 1 Answers ]

Help, the doulble lavatory in my kids bathroom will not drain. I have tried the small plunger and when I plung one, the water will fill up more in the other sink. Can you help me. Thanks, The woodlands, Texas

Rusty bathroom sink overflow [ 3 Answers ]

My bathroom sink is draining very poorly. I snaked out the pipe, but found no clog. A plumber came for the same problem about a year ago and blamed it partly on our sinks overflow being very rusty and interfering with proper venting of the sink. Does this sound right and can the overflow be...

View more questions Search