Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 12:20 PM

Neither your husband NOR the surrogate need to raise this child.

Adoption is a LOVELY option.

The surrogate would still need to be paid, though, obviously.

You and your husband NEED to go to marital counseling.

Ask him how he'd feel if you came home pregnant with another man's child and expected him to raise it.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 12:26 PM

I'd like to know where this happened Country and/or State... and HOW this was allowed without BOTH spouses signatures.
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 12:39 PM
    You know this was via Artificial Insemination exactly HOW?

THis seems so bizarre at least if it's the USA that it seems like he is trying to cover a lovechild up. I don't think you could legally be able to do that here without BOTH spouses signatures.

Now if you are outside the USA then that's different.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 01:02 PM

I think the way your husband went about this was very underhanded and it would appear he assumed once the deed was done you would automatically get on board.
    That is emotional blackmail.

Essentially,if you love me you will love the child type of scenario.

First of all as regards to coping I would be certain to have your legal rights as a guardian made clear.If he ever decided to leave and take the child who you have bonded with(best case scenario) you would have no legal recourse.Establish yourself legally as a parent via adoption.

I would also be certain that he provides ample help to you in the home ,in the way of a nanny.You have just retired and should be able to enjoy your retirement as you had planned.

It is easy for myself as an outsider to say that you will bond with this child and that may have been the case ,had he not done this in such a deceitful manipulative manner.

I would get everything in writing and have good legal counsel.

I have to say I question how a surrogacy was done via insemination without your awareness.Something about the manner of conception rings false to me.

I would not agree to anything until you are satisfied that this child in is fact not a product of an affair.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 01:10 PM

Actually, BOTH parents for surrogacy need to go through the adoption process in most states.

The child is legally the birthmother's child, and if the sperm of the father (as in this case) was used, he is financially responsible for the child, though usually the adoption process includes him as well.

Surrogacy is a VERY tangled legal mess. It doesn't matter what state you're in, there are VERY few laws that specifically cover a surrogacy situation.

As far as the conception/insemination--he could have EASILY done it without his wife on board, because (once again) surrogacy laws are all over the place when they're in place at all. All he'd have to do is hire a surrogate (either privately or through an agency), pay the fee, get a contract drawn up, and donate his sperm at a sperm bank to be used for the surrogacy. In some cases, it can be set up by his doctor.

So I completely believe her that he did this on his own, and that there wasn't an affair involved.

HOWEVER--what he did was sneaky, underhanded, and quite selfish.

I would be talking to a lawyer, frankly. Marriage counseling may be able to save your marriage, and you MAY be able to work this out in some sort of compromise--but you need a lawyer to advise you what YOUR rights are in this situation--especially if it leads to separation/divorce.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jan 21, 2010, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Neither your husband NOR the surrogate need to raise this child.

Adoption is a LOVELY option.

The surrogate would still need to be paid, though, obviously.

You and your husband NEED to go to marital counseling.

Ask him how he'd feel if you came home pregnant with another man's child and expected him to raise it.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that connection.

This is as underhanded as a woman 'accidentally' becoming pregnant to try to keep her boyfriend/husband form leaving her.
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 04:48 PM
    OK. I'm glad Synnen responded to that and I do trust her at her word on this implicitly. Something THIS important SHOULD require both spouses consent even though as pointed out it appears right tnow that it really doesn't because a child is involved that would be caught in the middle.

Perhaps more people should contact their representatives asking them to work on a uniform and concise set of laws making this less murky and more predictable for everyone involved.

He clearly is thinking only of himself and HIS wants. That's a bad frame of mind for anyone wishing to be a parent.
    Rivka Posts: 30, Reputation: 4

Jan 21, 2010, 04:49 PM

I have been off-line for a while. For those who asked, this took place in Michigan. There is no legal standing for surrogacy in MI. In spite of how badly I feel about how this went down I am absolutely convinced there was no affair.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Jan 21, 2010, 11:07 PM

Wow - if my hubby brought home a dog and expected me to help care for it without consultation I'd be miffed - but a child! (My hubby knows I don't want a dog by the way and yours knew you didn't want a child!)

Having said that the deed is done so what now?

I agree with all those people who have said get some legal advice and counselling, whatever you end up deciding you need help to look at your options.

Have you met the surrogate? I must say in your position if there was any possibility of me getting involved in bringing this child up I think I would want to be involved in the process now to help clarify all that has happened without your consent and to help you come to terms with it.

You cannot just go along with it if you are really unhappy, it would be terrible for you, and especially for the child, if you had to do so with resentment.

The fact is time is in short supply now. You need to do everything you can to accept this has happened and work out what you want to do about it, the baby isn't going to wait...

I don't wish to sound harsh, I really really feel for you, I'm just thinking if it was me I'd be spending a lot of time just trying to get my head around it but sadly time is something you won't have enough of before the baby arrives. Please get some expert help on this.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Jan 21, 2010, 11:25 PM

Further to my above post, I was thinking about whether you have met and talked with the surrogate and it got me wondering...
    What did he tell her? Did he pretend he was a single man or say his wife was happy about it? Wouldn't the surrogate have wanted to meet you before the deed was done? I can't imagine agreeing to carry a baby for someone and not knowing the people who were going to be caring for that baby...
    Maybe it's some woman who doesn't care apart from wanting the money. If that's the case is she taking good care of herself and the baby? Is it someone who is in dire financial striaights who might hound you and your hubby for money later in desperation?
    I would want to know what the situation was, because if your hubby lied to her or her sitution is difficult how can you be sure if the baby will even be handed over?

Is it at all possible that he's lying and it hasn't happened - yet.. a way of finding out how you would react?

Jan 22, 2010, 03:32 AM

To QLP -- No, I have not met the surrogate. She is aware that there is a wife somewhere, and I was also surprised that a woman who was prepared to be a surrogate would not insist on meeting the wife, but sadly, no. Apparently now that everything is in place, I am going to be allowed to meet her -- sometime in the next week.

It has definitely happened -- not a test. She texts him regularly and I have seen the text messages that have gone between them. It is real.

All the points you make about her situation, etc, are very valid. These are all questions I'd have wanted to ask had I been in the loop. He, however, was so desperate to have a child that he threw caution out the window and proceeded with limited information.

Basically, I don't sleep or eat. I am completely surviving on adrenaline and eye drops! Absolute worst time in my life.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jan 22, 2010, 03:46 AM

I would suggest taking a couple days for yourself. Go stay with family, or check into a hotel or spa. Spend that time decompressing and thinking without the pressure of seeing your husband all the time. No matter what you decide to do about this situation (keeping the baby, leaving your husband, etc), this is going to be the last opportunity for relaxation you're going to get for awhile.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 03:56 AM

I think it is safe to say that had he informed you of his plan, before it was actually accomplished, you would have made it clear you did not want a baby. So, he just skipped that part.

This is a terrible betrayal of trust. He has made a decision that will affect you and turn your life upside down for the next 20 years or more. I also find it very unusual for a man to so desperately want a baby of his own that he would even deceive his wife in order to get one. You are not a passive partner here with the decision that he has made.

I feel terribly sorry for you having been put in this position. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't accept what he has put on your plate.

It's not like you can say, well, if you want a baby, you take care of it. Impossible position to be in.

He has taken a chance that you will not leave him to raise his child alone, and that you will just 'get over it' and 'get onboard'. The arrogance is unbelieveable!

But, what are you left with. Facing raising a child at this stage of your life, that you didn't want but were tricked into, or, leaving and living a peaceful existence on your own.

There is no between, other than adoption as others have said, but that doesn't sound like something he is willing to do having gone this far now.

I don't know which way I'd go myself if this happened to me. Hate to say it, but I think I would leave.

Please keep us posted.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 04:39 AM

I would leave,too.
    You know your post made me cry.
    You have all my sympathy.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 05:58 AM
    Definitely talk to a lawyer... because if for no other reason, you might find yourself legally liable and responsible financially for raising the child etc... even if he skips out later.

Just like so many men who's wives had affairs and had cildren by other men... and yes... I know several in jail right now for refusing to pay child support for children they neither adopted nor fathered... and yes, they have DNA tests to prove it.

It can just as easily be turned around on you.

Jan 23, 2010, 03:32 AM

All of this is very uncharted territory to me. Have not booked a legal appt. yet, however, have begun counselling. I'll probably be in it for a long time. This has all been shock to my system that I feel on the cusp of being physically ill.

I very much appreciate everyone's comments and concern. Thank you.

Now that I have had a few days to ruminate on this, it does not get easier, but clearer. As I see it, he must have been very desperate to risk everything, more than I can even envision. Prior to this, we were a very happy couple, with a lot of years of wonderful history together, which is probably why I didn't go running for the door the minute I found out. But the feeling of betrayal is there.

I still don't know how this is all going to end up. He has a huge financial and emotional investment in this future child, so the suggestion of adoption just is not an option. There is no easy answer.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2010, 03:39 AM

No,there is no easy answer.
    It comes down to you having to make the best possible choice for yourself-whatever that turns out to be.

I hope you are getting some sleep.
    And try to eat right.
    All the best.
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 10:16 AM

It's almost like a handicap isn't it, all of a sudden you are faced with the responsibility of not only accepting what he has done, but also faced with raising a baby.

Your life will revolve around raising another woman's child. He 'fathered' the child, but you will be the one with the burden of raising it.

All without giving you a choice to say no. I am happy you are going to counselling to work through this. The responsibility to you is enormous, and you have my respect for being so calm, and finding your way through this.

As amicon said, you have to make the best possible choice for yourself, whatever that turns out to be.

I hope you will keep us posted.

Jan 23, 2010, 06:21 PM

To Jake2008 and amicon -- Thanks for your support. I am hoping to sleep tonight. I average about 2-3 hours a night so far. I have started eating again, which is a step in the right direction.

I am trying to come to terms with him longing for a child so much that he would step out of our marriage to get it and really, the thought of some woman out there carrying my husband's child is almost unfathomable.

I am terrified of the legalities. As soon as I get a better grip of everything, I will call for legal advice. So much to think about. Never thought I'd be facing something this lfe altering at this point in my life. I was actually hoping to travel and take some courses. Life!
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 06:35 PM
    Rivka, I wish you lived closer, I'd pick you up, and we'd go sit and have coffee and talk this all out.

I am at such a loss too, to understand this. I can only imagine what it is like for you living it.

Great idea to sit with your lawyer and talk this out as well.

Please keep posting. I know we are all anonymous, but we do sincerely care what happens to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surrogate Court ? [ 1 Answers ]

In New York State after submitting the estate accounting, how long does it take to hear from the judge or for the will to be put of probate?

View more questions Search