Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mattgo29 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 10:44 AM
    A thermostat says it is resistive rated. What does this mean?
    Trying to purchase a thermostat for electric baseboard heat.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 12:10 PM

Short answer: It means that the following relationship is true:

Power in Watts = V in volts Volts multiplied by current in Amps.

Example: A 2400 W heater at 240 V draws 10 amps.

The relationship is valid for Electric baseboard heat.
    hermanwachs Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Jan 21, 2010, 01:40 PM

The thermostat is basically a switch.
    There are three electrical loads as far as switches are concerned. The easiest on the switch is called resistive. When you turn the load on it comes on drawing more or less it's rated load, and when you turn it off it's off.

Next is inductive, typically consisting of motors and transformers. Turning this on is no problem to the switch, but when turning off the magnetic fields collapse in the inductive elements causing arcing across the switch contacts, degrading the quality of the contacts and shortening their life.

The third load is called tungsten. When you turn on a cold incandescent lamp the current for the first fraction of a second is about 10 times what it will be when the bulb warms up. This current may be enough to weld the switch contacts together.
    Switches have design elements to handle these conditions which may shorten their life.
    "Resistive rated" means use the switch for baseboard (resistance) heaters if you want long life from it.
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 03:15 PM

While the answer above is really good, I will correct a part of it.

Large current draws can occur in inductive loads depending on where in the cycle it happens to turn on. The voltage across an inductor cannot change instantaneously, thus initially the inductor acts like a brief short. Thus, for a 240 V system the switch could see (240*sqrt(2)/2) volts into a brief low resistance.

You can go on and on about loads. Resistive and inductive matter. I could add metal halide lamps, arc lamps or fluorescent lamps to this picture too.

Jan 22, 2010, 09:20 AM

So if the thermostat is resistive rated, it will last longer if I am using it for electric baseboard heat because the heaters are a resistive load?
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 10:17 AM

No, resistive rated loads are appropriate for baseboard heating primarily because of cost considerations.

The same rating switch for an inductive load would be labeled in HP or horsepower. There are 746 watts in a HP, but you cannot use that number to size a switch in amps. e.g. I = 746 W divided by 120 V. It must be rated higher. Usually switches designed for this purpose have a rating in amps and HP.

Jan 25, 2010, 07:28 PM

Thanks K.I.S.S.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 07:46 PM

Your welcome.

Here is a data sheet that will make your head spin:

http://www.automationdirect.com/stat...contactors.pdf

The CE15AN is a contactor (a special kind of relay) which has a 20 A rating when used for resistive loads and a 7A rating when not. Furthermore, this particular contactor has different ratings depending on what it's used for, the voltage and phase.

I tried to distill it for you, now you might be in a position to understand it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H vs. V rated tires [ 4 Answers ]

Currently I have V rated tires on my Honda Accord (which is a V6). If I go down to an H rated tire, would that be bad for my car? Should I stick with the V rated tire?

Appling resistive loads [ 5 Answers ]

What would be the best way to apply an resistive load to a 20 amp circuit for the maxinum of the circuit ? <Title change - KISS>

Resistive and conductive loads [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me the difference between a conductive load and a resistive load. Also the relationship between voltage current an amps within the two loads

X-rated excitement [ 2 Answers ]

Duncan is now 15wks so we are guessing this issue is due to his age. He humps like a mad man, well dog. Only his things though which we take as a sign of respect to us. Normal for his age? Through out the day he get's what we call a "red rocket". I don't know about the sensory restraints on the...

Siding installed without weather resistive barrier [ 9 Answers ]

We have a serious problem recently. We bought a three year old two story house in August. The home inspector didn't notice anything wrong. In autumn we had huge leaks, which damaged our floor. So we asked insurance to help. They paid for the inside wall and floor damage, but they said: if the leak...

View more questions Search