Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nlhflorida Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 10:33 AM
    Establishing paternity when mother moved out of state.
    Hello, I am currently helping a friend try to find information about establishing paternity in order to establish a relationship with his son (This takes place in Florida). My friend and his child's mother was unmarried at the time of the birth. He was present at the hospital when is son was born and had contact with him soon after. They broke up shortly after the birth, and he and the child's mother had a lawyer and a mediator get involved.

My friend filled out the papers to establish paternity (he thought his name was on the birth certificate, but it wasn't), and gave everything he needed for the test. Unfortunately the mother did not cooperate. He then had a warrant out, but no one would follow through on the order. The child's mother stopped contact with her lawyer and the mediator, and eventually moved out of state.

His son will soon be turning four and I keep coming up at a dead end. Everything seems to be geared to parents seeking to get child support and I'm hoping there's something for the parents who want to give child support and get a relationship with their children. He's trying to do as much independent research before he gets another lawyer (because of what happened in the past). Is there anything that can be done? Thank you for any information you may have.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nlhflorida View Post
    Hello, I am currently helping a friend try to find information about establishing paternity in order to establish a relationship with his son (This takes place in Florida). My friend and his child's mother was unmarried at the time of the birth. He was present at the hospital when is son was born and had contact with him soon after. They broke up shortly after the birth, and he and the child's mother had a lawyer and a mediator get involved.

My friend filled out the papers to establish paternity (he thought his name was on the birth certificate, but it wasn't), and gave everything he needed for the test. Unfortunately the mother did not cooperate. He then had a warrant out, but no one would follow through on the order. The child's mother stopped contact with her lawyer and the mediator, and eventually moved out of state.

His son will soon be turning four and I keep coming up at a dead end. Everything seems to be geared to parents seeking to get child support and I'm hoping there's something for the parents who want to give child support and get a relationship with their children. He's trying to do as much independent research before he gets another lawyer (because of what happened in the past). Is there anything that can be done? Thank you for any information you may have.
    This is all confusing. I can't figure out how the warrant has not been executed against the mother for not complying with the courts.

Why is the mother so adamant about keeping the child away from your friend? Was the paternity test ever completed or is that what the mother wouldn't comply with?

If she has a warrant out for her arrest, it will only be a matter of time until she is picked up - whether it's in another state or not.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 07:18 PM

If the order is still active in the local court, you can still file there, file for custody, and a DNA test, Ok you most likely won't get custody, but it is way to get the DNA test and then you deal down to joint custody or visits you want
    nlhflorida Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 10:26 PM

Thank you for your responses.

this8384: I was as baffled as you are after hearing about his problem. He told me the lawyer and mediator pretty much washed their hands of it after they couldn't get in contact with the mother. When she lived in Florida he gave them all the information he had concerning the mom. My friend gave his part of the paternity test but his child's mother never took his son in (then she ended up moving), so paternity was never established. Right now he feels like the only way he'd get anywhere is if his child's mother gets pulled over and sent back to Florida because of the warrant. From what I've researched so far the system seems to be really biased, and it's a huge disappointment (as well as a huge eye opener).

Fr_Chuck: I'll have him look into that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Establishing paternity [ 1 Answers ]

I am a father with a 13 year old and I need to establish paternity for him. His mother died three years ago and I am not on the birth certificate. I need to get his birth certificate So the school system will not throw him out. How do I partition the court in Maryland so I can have my name put...

Establishing Paternity and Support Obligation Non-Wed Out of State [ 9 Answers ]

I have just been contacted by a woman that I have not heard from in over 11 years. She is claiming that I am the father of a child that she had shortly after discharge from military service in 1996. We dated for about 1 month and the time and had an incident one night resulting in a broken condom...

Mother moved out of state and still getting child support [ 1 Answers ]

My stepson's mother threw him out April 1 and left the state. She is still getting child support. We have no way of getting a hold of her, and when we tried to set up a court date to get custody changed over she didn't show up and so they dismissed the case. How do we file child abandonment so...

Establishing paternity at 30 [ 2 Answers ]

I am 30. My parents were married when I was conceived. My father cheated on my Mother and she left when she was 5 months pregnant. She tried numerous times to Get a divorce and finally when I was 21 months old he and his lawyer told my mom That if she would state he wasn't my father he would...

View more questions Search