Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Panch82 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 03:04 AM
    Connecting LCD TV and blu-ray player to a 5.1 speaker surround sysytem
    Hi

I've recently bought a 47 inch LG LCD TV (LH5000), a Sony BDPS360 blu-ray player, and a Panasonic SC-PT470E B-K 5.1 DVD cinema surround system.

What I want to do is connect my TV and blu-ray player to my cinema surround system, but I am not sure what cables/leads I need to do this?

I have been advised that I should buy 2 hdmi, 2 scart and 2fibre optic leads to connect everything. I have heard of hdmi and scart leads, but not of fibre optic leads - what are they used for?

I don't want to buy a separate Amp, and I've been told that I will be able to connect my particular TV and blu-ray player to my surround system using a fibre optic lead - is this correct? If this is the case, any recommendations on which fibre optic leads I should buy?

If anyone can provide some guidance or help with my particular problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 06:39 AM

If Optical is on both/all units you can:
    TOSLINK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Audio is already in the HDMI.
    Here is some good info, select the Device or Cable type:
    http://www.monstercable.com/connecti...tion_guide.asp
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 21, 2010, 07:44 AM
    Lets start at the beginning. Please describe the input connections to your TV. Does it have an HDMI Input and/or Fiber Optic inputs. (These will be RCA type receptacles stacked vertically. They are Red (Bottom) - Blue (Middle) and Green on top. You will see a Py label on one of the receptacle.

Fiber Optic cable is used to deliver Audio <Corrected typo, thanks guys>to the TV.

HDMI, however will deliver both Audio and Video to the TV.

Do you get your TV from cable, satellite or an off the air antenna?

Do you route the TV signals through your sound processor or directly to your TV?

What connection points are on the sound processor and what is on the Disc Player.

Can you place pictures into this post so I can see what you have, please?
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Fiber Optic cable is used to deliver image to the TV.
    In this application of fiber optic, it is used to carry digital sound only.
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Jan 21, 2010, 11:18 PM

This question has been previously asked, and answered, at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/home-e...on-436719.html
    Daniel

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting a Blu-ray Player to the Internet [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to connect my blu-ray player to the internet so it can get updates. I would like to keep it connected in the TV stand so I am looking at doing it wireless. There is a LAN connection in the back of the player. What are my options? Do I need a wireless router? Some sort of adaptor?

Blu ray electronics [ 1 Answers ]

What is involved in hooking up blu ray dvd players? Is it any different than hooking up a regular dvd unit?

Samsung Blu-ray DVD player will not read disk [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Samsung Blu_ray DVD player model BD-P1000 that suddenly will not read any disk at all, instead it displays the message "disk error". Does any body have similar experience and know what is wrong with it? I have some electronic repair experience, just need some hint as to where the...

Blu-Ray vs hd-dvd [ 3 Answers ]

Didn't know where to post this, there is nothing under computers and tech for other tech. Does anyone else feel like the hd-dvd commercials during the superbowl and the price drop on the hd-dvd players was one last desperate attempt to get a market share in the high def movie market? I mean...

View more questions Search