mjw Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Aug 4, 2003, 11:59 PM
    Repair copper pipes
    I need to know how to remove a pipe that has been soldered
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 6, 2003, 11:16 AM
    repair copper pipes
    You're asking how to unsweat a copper fitting? First turn off the water and open the lowest faucet that you have and drain the system. The pipes HAVE to free of water to melt solder. If enough water remains in the pipes to prevent the solder from heating then you will have to cut the pipe with a set of copper cutters and remove ALL the moisture. Next fire up your torch and apply heat to the fitting to be removed. When the solder melts and begans to run take a pair of pliers and twist and pull at the same time while applying heat from the torch. Whatever you wish to unsolder should come apart now. If you need instructions on how to solder a copper to copper joint just click on back and I'll be glad to walk you through it. Good luck and thank you for rating my reply. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper v PVC [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of building a home and the builder suggested we use PVC in stead of copper pipe. I understand there is a significant cost difference due to rising copper prices. The savings would be great, but I also don't want to sacrifice quality. I am interested to learn the pros and...

Why use copper for DWV? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Something's been nagging me for a while. Several different kinds of material are used for DWV systems, each with its own pros and cons. PVC (and I guess ABS) is inexpensive and easy to work with, but is not allowed by all codes, and is a lot noisier (I've been to a few houses where...

Copper to PVC [ 2 Answers ]

My house has all copper pipes. However, I noticed that from the street main before the house there is a tee that connects copper to PVC. The PVC branch is connected to my sprinklers and nothing else. I am worried that the PVC wasn't meant to be under constant water pressure from the main and...

Car repair [ 1 Answers ]

Car repair I have a Mercury Sable LS 2000 The lights on the Dash Board that display the gear you are in are not working I was told that I need to change a modal any ideas

Copper to PVC [ 1 Answers ]

HI (Ken) (!st time user) I am replacing the Main copper on/off valve. How do I connect a one inch copper outside main water pipe to a one inch PVC pipe, (which is connected to meter side) ? Additional info have 6 inches of copper and 6 inches of PVC above ground. I do not want...

View more questions Search