Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spurschic1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 02:23 AM
    Directors loan
    Hi,

I have an amount paid out of the company for a personal loan taken out for tax due. How do I account for it in the trial balance?

Thanks
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 09:51 PM

You don't account for transactions in a trial balance. You account for them by making an entry, then letting the accounts all balance themselves, and the trial balance will come off those account balances.

It's credited out of cash. The debit depends -- if you're actually expecting to get this back from whomever it was loaned to, then it's a receivable. If it's going to get paid back within a year, then it's current. If it's going to be longer than that, then it would go under "other non-current assets." As a side note, the fact that it is for tax is irrelevant -- it's a loan, period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Directors vs. Officers [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Can anyone tell me the difference between a director of a company or an officer? Does one have more control over another? Thank you in advance.

Board of Directors [ 2 Answers ]

Can the four officers who sit on the Board of Directors change & create new policies & procedures while deliberately excluding three members of the full Board?

What are the rights of the Former Directors? [ 2 Answers ]

I bought the shares of my former partner in 2006. We signed all papers stating she would have no financial claims against the company starting form the day she sold the shares. Now she is asking me to provide her with the papers on revenue and other payments in 2006 claiming she wants to get the...

View more questions Search