Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chestar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2010, 06:19 PM
    1 phase generator with a 40 amp breaker
    I'm connecting a 8 circuit single phase panel to a 120/240v 3wire generator. Coming from the panel I'm using a 3 conductor cable to be connected to a 40 amp breaker on the generator. My question is where does the neutral get connected at the generator
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2010, 06:30 PM

What receptacle do you have? It should be 4 wire.

An interlock kit would have made this a simple process.

Yep, there are issues with where the ground and neutral is supposed to go.

For stand alone generator operation ground and neutral should be connected at the generator frame.

For providing power to the assumed house, the ground-neutral bond needs to be broken at the generator. They should still enter the house as 4 wires.

Generator frame gets ground.
    Neutral gets neutral

The ground neutral connection is done at the panel.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 20, 2010, 06:30 PM

What generator is it?
    I would assume there is a neutral and ground connection in the wiring compartment.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 07:43 PM
    Kiss, I suspect that if a 40amp breaker is being used the generator is probably too small for any success with an interlock kit. An 8 breaker panel suggests that it is probably a 6 to 8 KW generator.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 08:09 PM

MB:
    We are talking to ourselves here. Both the interlock kit and one of those. I'm thinking the transfer panel looks like this one: Amazon.com: 6-5000 Manual Generator Transfer Switch Panel 120/240V 40A CSA & ETL. BONUS: L14-20 Male and Female Power Cord Ends.: Home Improvement

There are tradeoffs with both methods.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 amp main breaker contact clearance Regarding a Generator [ 9 Answers ]

I have wired a generator into my 200amp breaker box. The generator power enters the box via a 50 amp breaker. My local utility representative tells me that the 200 amp main breaker does not have enough clearance to safely isolate my generator from the power grid. He is telling me that there...

Wire Size for 250 Amp breaker 3 phase 208Y/120 [ 1 Answers ]

Wire Size for 250 Amp breaker 3 phase 208Y/120

How to connect three phase city supply to generator! [ 9 Answers ]

Hi dear 'ask me' community, I have a 30KW generator with a automatic transfer switch - it has a three phase input U, V, W and N which Needs to be connected to the city power it then has an output that goes to the building. How do I know Which phase of the city supply needs to go to the U, V, W...

How do you usually connect three single phase loads to a three phase generator? [ 2 Answers ]

How do you usually connect three single phase loads to a three phase electric generator?:)

Three phase generator [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Sir, If a three phase generator is loaded more on one phase and less on other does it effects is performance. At times a phase on generator runs overload while the other runs underload. What is the way to distribute the load equally on the three phases ? Please suggest. Regards, Nipun Jain

View more questions Search