Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    36 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2010, 05:12 PM
    I have been working out but I'm getting weaker why
    Today I was working out on my arms spicificaly benching it was at the end of my work out and I was trying to do one set of 135 for benching the most I have ever done was 6 but today I only did one and I know I am weaker because all the other exercises prior to that but this is unacceptable and my friend pushed out nine which is better than what he had done last week 8 we both take whey protein I just don't understand. Also my abs seem to be fading away and I don't know why I have not been eating more and my work outs are the same please help also if this helps I am a 16 year old male who has been working out 5 days a week and have been doing this since october/november
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 11:28 AM

Don't try going for personal bests at the end of workouts. If you work intensely, your muscles will be tired before you start, and you won't be able to lift as heavy. Do your heavy moves (bench, squat, deads) early in your workouts, keep lighter moves like curls and kickbacks for the end of the workout.

If you are working out hard, and not eating more, then you will run into trouble.

Can you post a typical day's food, and a typical workout?
    36 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 04:11 PM

In the morning before school I run then eat a breakfast shake and A banana for breakfast I eat a snack like a cereal bar for a snack for lunch ill have carrots and ranch dressing and a cheese stick before my workout. I alternate lower body and upper body to every other day first ill use the treadmill or elliptical for ten minutes to get the blood flowing then if I'm doing upper body that day ill do curls, a for arm workout,shoulder workout and some tricept work then benching and after that lat pull down and I finish with some abdominals after my workout ill have an apple and a whey protein shake. If I'm relly for my work out ill run again then ill eat dinner
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2010, 05:16 PM

A couple of things strike me.

You have very little good quality food protein in there. A shake is fine after lifting, but the rest of the day you should be eating real food, including good quality protein. All you've got is a banana, carrot, cheese stick and a cereal bar. That is not nearly enough food.

If you want to build muscle, you've not only got to work the muscle to the point where you cause micro-damage to it, so that the body repairs it bigger and stronger than before, you've also got to eat enough to keep the muscle going, and to build big muscles, you've got to eat more than that. Bulking takes a surplus of calories. Your body can't make muscle out of thin air.

I suggest eating something like porridge and eggs for breakfast, and perhaps something like a tin of tuna and some salad with an olive oil dressing for lunch. A cereal bar and carrot is not going to get the job done.

Also, a lot of cardio tends to make it harder for your body to build significant muscle. Enough to get you warmed up and to keep your heart and lungs fit is great, but too much will make you skinny, not muscular.

If cardio is important to you, do it on a different day from your lifting.

In the gym, once you are warmed up, do your big lifts first. So bench press definitely comes before curls and tricept extensions. Otherwise, your smaller arm muscles will already be exhausted by the time you come to bench, and your chest muscles will never got a good workout.

Start with big compound lifts like bench press, military press for shoulders, pull-ups or bentover barbell rows for backs, dips for triceps, etc. Keep the curls, lat pulls, extensions etc for the end of your workout.

On your lower body day, keep squats, deadlifts, stiff leg deadlifts, lunges for early in the workout, and things like calf raises and knee extensions for the end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My craftsman keyless entry is only working on one garage door. Was working on both. [ 4 Answers ]

My keyless entry was working prior to vacation. We have two garage doors and each one has a different code. Only one code, and thus door, is now opening with the keyless entry pad. I replaced the battery, and that did not help. Any help is much appreciated. My garage door opener model number is...

Dual fuel rheem furnace not working, defrost control board replaced still not working [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, I have a Rheem furnace and is only one year old. Recently my furnace didn't come on so I had someone come out and look at it and it turns out it was the defrost board on the heat pump that was bad. I replaced the board with a new one and turned the system on and it worked on heat and...

Heat and Air not working on Attic unit, but blower working. [ 1 Answers ]

The blower is working fine on our Heating and Air Conditioning unit but neither the Air or Heat will work. The emergency Heat works fine though. The unit is a Carrier with the words American Standard written on the outside fan unit. What should I look for before calling a tech or what would this be...

Dog Get weaker and weaker [ 2 Answers ]

I have 6 years old German Shephard. Few weeks before he is suffering from a fever, so after showing to the vet and giving some medicines recover from the fever. But from last 15 days he doesn't eat a single thing... and now its get so weak not even stand on their legs... I am daily giving...

View more questions Search