Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dancer419 Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Nov 19, 2006, 12:35 PM
    Busy signal on phone
    Hello all
    I am new to this board and hope someone can help I seem to have a short somewhere in my wireing or phone jacks. I checked the network interphase devise and there was no dial tone there but verizon came and checked the outside wireing and said the problem was inside. When you call there is a busy signal. I only have one phone and I bought a regular plug in phone to check the jacks. The only thing that seems to work is my DSL. I replaced the jack where the cordless phone is connected. On occasion when I mess with the jack I get a busy signal or can hear the recording"please hang up and try your call again" at one point I got a dial tone on that same jack but it left again when I moved the jack closer to the wall.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 19, 2006, 12:45 PM
    I gather you don't pay for line service so Verizon only checked the terminal. But something doesn't make sense here. On my system, The line comes from the outside into an interface block with a RJ11 jack on the inside of the house. Verizon is responsible up to that interface block. If you plug a regular phone into the RJ11 jack on the interface and you don't get a dial tone, then the problem is Verizon's. If you do get a dial tone, then the problem is in your internal wiring.

You will then need to trace that wiring and see where the fault is.

Nov 19, 2006, 01:00 PM
    It's very strange. The interphase device is in my basement. You take out a phone plug and put in the testing phone's plug. It is connected to a bar where all the phone wires are attached. There is no dial tone there. I just was re-attaching the wires in the new jack and I had a dial tone for a minuet-now it's gone again
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2006, 01:02 PM
    Since I know little about DSL, I left this question go. I am a little disappointed with the answer you did get. Do you still have a standard test jack on the exterior interface with DSL? Does it use the same jacks, and should you get dial tone if you plug a phone into any jack? Or do you have a device that splits voice and data? If so, that could be where your problem is.

Nov 19, 2006, 01:28 PM
    The dsl cable is plugged into a regular phone jack. When I plug in a regular phone into that jack it does not work

And by the way-i show Australian shepherds

Nov 19, 2006, 03:38 PM
    Again, if you can plug a phone into the RJ11 jack on the interface, then the problem is Verizon's. Typically a terminal bar is connected to the interface and wires are run from the terminal bar to the wall jacks.

The DSL issue is troubling though. If DSL is working that something is getting through to that jack.

Nov 19, 2006, 04:05 PM
    I don't know what an RJ11 jack is but there is no dial tone in the interphase. I did get a dial tone while playing with the wires on several of the jacks but it went away again. I guess I'm going to have to get someone to come to fix it-verizon says it's my problem
    Phyllis

Nov 19, 2006, 04:27 PM
    An RJ11 jack is a standard phone jack. You need to try and understand your wiring setup because what you are saying doesn't make sense.

The way it works is the Telco runs a wire into a block on the outside of your house. That wire is then connected to an interface on the inside of the house. The interface either has an Rj11 jack on it or 4 terminals colored Red, Yellow, Green and Black. Usually it's the RJ11.

If the interface uses an RJ11 then typically it connect to a terminal bar with a series of dolor coded terminals. From there, wires are then run to the wall jacks around the house.

Therefore if the interface doesn't have a dial tone, then the rest of the house (including the DSL) should not have a dial tone or connection.

Nov 19, 2006, 05:50 PM
    There is a bar in the basement where the phone wires from the house are connected. This is connected to a box that says"to test-plug phone here" that's what I did and there is no dial tone. I can't use my phone but as you can see I am using my computer. I unplugged the dsl line from the jack and plugged in the phone-it does not work.
    There is a box on the wall outside near the electric meter but it doesn't not look like phone wires-it looks like the cable wires. I believe I understand the interphase device. As I said before I can get a dial tone on occasion by messing with the wires in the jacks in the different rooms. I don't understand it either
    Phyllis

Nov 19, 2006, 06:08 PM
    Without seeing the box, I don't think its your interface. You might check a Radio Shack catalog and see if you can find what it looks like. Based on what you are saying, Verizon is probably right. I think you need to find the network interface and maybe replace the bridge bar.

Nov 19, 2006, 06:14 PM
    Thanks for your help anyway scott-i'd be glad to take a pic of this box and send it to you. I just had it working for one phone call and then it cut out again. It was clicking and making noise but it worked. I'm probably going to call someone-but now verizon

Nov 19, 2006, 06:25 PM
    Thanks anyway for trying to help scott-i'd be glad to take a pic of this thing in the basement if you are curious. I just was able to make one call out berfore it died again-it was making noise-but it worked. I'll be calling someone-but it won't be verizon. Let me know if you want to see what it looks like
    Phyllis

Nov 23, 2006, 10:00 AM
    Just an update
    It was the interphase in the basement and I was right-after having verizon outsie 2 times there was a bare cable up the pole. So after a week I have my phone back and they paid to fix it
    Happy thanksgiving to everyone

Nov 23, 2006, 12:29 PM
    Glad to hear it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cd-rom drive is busy [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings! I try to install from a cd and get the following message "cd-rom drive is busy, close all other programs and try again (sometimes it helps to eject the disk and reinsert it)" The cd is working properly on other pcs.Any help is welcome!

Stolen phone - am I stuck with phone charges? [ 3 Answers ]

My cell phone was stolen recently and the guy who stole it called all over the place, adding about $175 in phone charges to our phone bill. I reported it stolen to Qwest, but they say the charges are still my responsibility. I am planning to refute the bill, but I don't know the correct...

Busy gal tries to stay current with news [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a busy 16-year-old who's involved in academics, extracurriculars, and then some. It's difficult to keep up with news, especially in a time like this, yet I'm continually curious, worried, and wanting to know of current events. When time permits, I'll take my time to read through the newspaper...

View more questions Search