Ask
    tipper9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2010, 09:59 AM
    Why do you have to be 59 1/2 to withdraw a 401k
    My teacher wants to know what is special about 59 1/2
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 20, 2010, 02:16 PM

It's an interesting question, and I'm not sure there's a definitive answer. However, one theory is that it's a way of relating "insurance age" to your actual calendar age. One method that insurance companies have used to determine your age on any given date for acturarial purposes is to use the "nearest birthday" - meaning if you are closer to your 60th birthday than your 59th, you are considered insurance age 60. For example - if you were born on August 1 1950, they consider you to be insurance age 60 starting on Feb 1 2010, and you reach insurance age 61 on Feb 1, 2011. So, assuming the 401(k) and IRA regulations were written using this method from the insurance industry, anyone who is calendar age 59-1/2 by the end of December has reached insurance age 60. Hence, allowing those who reach age 59-1/2 by the end of the calendar year to take a penalty-free withdrawal is equivalent to allowing anyone who reaches insurance age 60 in the calendar year to do so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early withdraw 401k [ 2 Answers ]

I am 56. If I leave my job and use my 401k to pay off a bankruptcy what kind of penelties am I going to have to pay.

401K withdraw [ 1 Answers ]

I have not worked for the last 3 years so I am not contributing to my 401K from my last employer. There are some credit balances I would like to pay off with money from this account. Is it possible to withdraw? I will be 60 in 3 weeks.

Withdraw 401K [ 2 Answers ]

If I quit my job, can I close my 401k and take the money and invest it myself? I have 71000 in the account and I want to start my own business, but I would like to use the 401k to pay off my house and other debts.

Withdraw 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to leave my employment with UPS and would like to withdraw all of my 401k to get all current bills paid off and start over. I am moving to another state

View more questions Search