Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrrawlinson Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2010, 06:31 AM
    Biking and weight loss
    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Girl_123 View Post
    You wont burn a lot of fat. You really start to burn fat 15-20mins into a workout, so you are finishing just as your body is starting to burn it.

It is great for your peace of mind though, but you should stop and recognise that you should be allowing more time for yourself, even if you could increase the rides to 45mins would make a great difference.

You will have much better results cycling for 60mins 3-4 times a week than 20mins every day.

:) Hope this helps!
    Hi I am a male 22 yrs old 5'9 height and weigh 144lbs I have a bike in my room if I was to use the fat burn program on it for 1 hour will I burn calories ? I am on a diet of 500 calories a day ?will I lose more weight using my bike
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 20, 2010, 07:09 AM

First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

If you use a stationary bike and do "spinning" for an hour a day, you will burn some calories. How much depends on how fast you pedal and what resistance you use.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 20, 2010, 07:15 AM
    500 calories a day is NOT a healthy diet.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2010, 12:29 PM

Cycling on a stationary bike will burn about 500 calories an hour. And 500 calories a day is not nearly enough food, particularly if you are also cycling hard.

A 22 year old male of 144lb should be eating around 2000 cals a day even while losing weight. The very lowest you should go is around 1500. If you go lower than that, you risk losing muscle instead of fat, which will make you look worse and feel terrible.

Actually, if you are trying to look better, particularly without your shirt, then do some cycling, but also lift weights. Lifting weights will tell your body you need muscle more than fat, and will burn more calories. Eat a diet with plenty of good quality protein (fish, chicken, eggs, lean meat, green veg) and cut out all the junk. Think like an athlete, not a loser.

Jan 20, 2010, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone elses. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

If you use a stationary bike and do "spinning" for an hour a day, you will burn some calories. How much depends on how fast you pedal and what resistance you use.
    Thank you
    I am on the lighter lfe diet wich gives four food paks a day with 100% of my daily goodnesss I need to lose 8stone they say with this diet my body goes in to ketosis but I want to lose more fat on top of this diet any other tips
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 11:26 AM

If you weigh 144lb, then you can't possibly have 8 stone to lose.

Jan 21, 2010, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen G View Post
    If you weigh 144lb, then you can't possibly have 8 stone to lose.
    I am 22stone
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 11:44 AM

Ah, okay, in that case, you can afford to drop calories a fair bit and cycle an hour a day.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Jan 22, 2010, 12:21 PM

Do you do any other exercises besides cycling? Using the bike will burn a lot of calories, but you could also try other excercises as well to help tone your body and muscles like weight lifting, running, pilates, or yoga. You should also increase the amount of calories you eat. 500 calories is a very small amount. You should be eating at least 1500 calories a day.
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2010, 03:35 PM

For what it's worth, I used to be 19 stone at my heaviest, and went to 12, by cutting out sugar and refined carbs, and doing a lot of cycling. But I do mean a lot. I did the Maracycle (206 miles) twice.

Dig out a road bike and start cycling for transport. It's amazing how many miles you can put up without feeling like you are killing yourself (keeping track of all the morons on the road distracts you from the sweat rolling down your back) and how fit you can get.

Jan 24, 2010, 04:11 AM

Thank you for all your advice it will help a lot I will use my bike for 1 hour a 3 times a week on the fat burn program and I will let you no how much I have lost at the end of my dieting month
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2010, 01:37 PM

Keep me posted and good luck.

Jan 29, 2010, 03:07 AM

Its my first week in to the diet and I went for a weigh in and I lost 19lbs so that's good but that was mostly glycogin I'm in to my secondweek now and I'm down to 21 stone I'm joing the gym on Monday so I shuld loss more next week and advice on what to do the gym to loss more or my belly and I have fat on my back ?
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2010, 08:21 AM

Congratulations on that!

19lb is more than just glycogen. Even champion bodybuilders rarely most more than about 15lb of glycogen, and they would have a lot more muscle mass than you do.

Weight loss will slow a bit now, but what you lose from now on should be fat.

Do lots of cycling outside the gym. In the gym, do big compound lifts like squat, deadlift, bench press, military press, bentover rows, pull-ups (or pull-downs if you don't have an assisted pull-up), dips, stiffleg deadlifts.

ExRx (Exercise Prescription) on the Net is a great website to show you how to do the exercises. Google say "deadlift" and go to the exrx pick, and you'll see a tiny video of how to do it right.

You can't spot reduce fat. All you can do is consume less calories than you are burning, and try to build up your muscle mass so you burn more calories at rest. Also, more muscle will make you look better, even when you are still carrying extra bodyfat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am an over weight teen and I would like to loss weight [ 9 Answers ]

Hi guys and gals. I am 17 yrs old. And have been overweight ever scense I can remember (all my life) and I really would like to finally loos weight I mean I am comfortable with myself but I know I need to get healthy Any tips?

Biking for weight loss [ 2 Answers ]

I want to loss weight, am doing 45 minutes uphill walk (apprx 2.5 km) and then a 30 minutes downhill. If I switch to biking of 1-2 hours will it be more effective then uphill walk.

Cardio vs weight training-which is more effective for quick weight loss? [ 4 Answers ]

I know most everyone makes a big deal about the "fat burning" cardio, but I also know that having a high % of lean muscle bumps up the metabolism, and burns fat faster. If you're working out hard with the weights, you are getting the old heart pumping too. What would be a good regimen for someone...

Weight loss, making my own weight loss journal [ 2 Answers ]

I am 15 and I want to lose weight and make my own weight loss journal. What are some things I sholud keep trak of? And shloud there be things I sholud add as I start, like look at taking vitmins.

What weight loss program helps you detoxify and loss weight at a good rate? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to detoxify my body and loss weight healthily and rapidly. I want to lose 80 lbs by the end of the year.. . I did south beach and I lost about 50 pounds in not even 3 months. :)

View more questions Search