Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taciturn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2010, 09:11 PM
    How to change from a eide drive to a larger sata hard drive
    When I clone my original eide hd to a larger sata hd I can't get the sata drive to boot. It keeps giving the hal.sys not correct message or corrupt.I can replace the original eide hd and it works fine. I have other sata devices installed (a second hard drive ) and they work fine I use Paragon back up to clone. I understand and change the bios as necessary but to no avail. I may have to edit the MBR and boot ini, but I don't know why it I may have to. I think this may be because it is a OEM original xp pro install situation. The recovery software is located on a different disk partision of the original eide hd.Hedlp please
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Feb 20, 2010, 11:01 PM

Random thoughts:
    • Pondering if changing BIOS settings for drive controller/modes can result in detection choosing another HAL?
    • Boot.ini will probably need to be edited as it is likely pointing to the wrong place. The SATA drive will not be enumerated by the system in the same manner as the IDE drive. Different controller, disk, and partition.

Some HAL Info:
    HAL options after Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 Setup

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

SATA Hard drive NOT detected [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting this NO SIGNAL message on my monitor when I switch it on. I am suspecting the hard drive is not been detected due to connections between my monitor & or that there is a problem with the hard drive itself. But yet I can't locate exactly what's wrong. It's a SATA 80gb hard drive. ...

Change out noisey Hard Drive [ 6 Answers ]

I want to change out Noisey Hard Drive with a new one. I want to transfer everything from noisey drive to new drive. What do I need, and what are the steps, Thanks

PATA and SATA hard drive on the same computer [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a PATA and SATA hard drive on my computer but XP Pro only reconizes the PATA. The PATA is my primary master and SATA should be slave but it doesn't show on XP Pro. The bios shows it's there but as third master (my two DVD's are Second master and slave). I would like two make the SATA a...

Asus P5PE-VM SATA and EIDE Compatibility [ 1 Answers ]

Purchased an Asus p5pe-vm MB and WD 1600 SATA HD, everything installed fine, but the HD comes up as the 2nd or 3rd IDE master and when installing an EIDE HD it comes up as Primary Slave and wants to boot off it instead of the SATA Wrong MB? I can't believe Asus built a board that in a 2 HD...

View more questions Search