Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    insight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2003, 09:54 AM
    Plumbing
    How do I get rid of air in my domestic water system in the house, please? I have just installed a new shower and the groaning noise now must be disturbing my poor neighbours.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2003, 12:28 PM
    Plumbing
    The first thing I would do is to recharge the air chambers. We installed air chambers on all lavatorys and the kitchen sink to reduce shock, vibration and noise. Let me give you instructions on how to recharge your air chambers. Back in the 60's we were required to to put shock absorbers,(air chambers) on all bath lavatorys and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will begain to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them in a two bath home. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back. You have just recharged your air chambers. If that don't get it click on back and we will go to step#2. Good luck and thank you for rating my reply. TOM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

My diamond earring went down the bathroom sink drain. Where exactly is the trap, and what type of tool is needed? No, I have not run the water.

Plumbing [ 6 Answers ]

Help kitchen faucet- water willnot come through spigot I replaced washers, when water was turned on would not flow through faucet what do I need to do now?

Plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering layout options for a small loft in NYC I would like to rearrange bathroom to creats a back hall. To do so I wish to Remove tub to a nes location.. and 'flip' ex. Toilet and sine- east west... not One for the other As I have a complete in the floor drain line for toilet and...

Plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

How do you put in a rubber/ spring in the hole under the cartridge faucet? Position of Rubber and spring?

View more questions Search