Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JeffNY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2003, 07:50 PM
    What should water pressure be for washer?
    Hi, my washer started "leaking". The repair guy said was from too low water pressure or flow into that "cup" in the washer the water "jets" into (that "cup" is required by law for some reason). Anyway, I'm on a well. I have a water pressure of about 29 to 32 psi (it was higher I think... I'm going to check the pressure in th air bag in the air tank). What should my water pressure be, 40 to 60psi? I think the low psi and a too restrictive wash machine shut off valve are causing my problems (it's not the screens in the valve... its a new valve).

And what water pressure range are wash machines designed for?

I bought one of these to test it:
    http://store.yahoo.com/inspectortool/dualwatpresa.html

Oh, and what should the water pressure in a hot water baseboard system be? My plumbers told me 18 to 20.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 26, 2003, 09:45 AM
    Re: What should water pressure be for washer?
    Hi Jeff,  The average house pressure runs 45/50 PSI,( pounds per square inch.)  The average pump pressure control box is set to 20 PSI kicks it on and 40 PSI shuts it off.  Low pressure shouldn't make your washer "leak".  It just makes it fill slower.  Your base board heater should work at the pressure that the plumber told you it would .  Your house pressure is a little low. Let me show you how to increase it and reset your bladder tank.   I'm going to assume that you  have a "square D pumptrol and that it has a 20 PSI cut in and a 40 PSI cut off setting. First turnoff the power at the breaker box, then pull the cover off the pressure switch and you will see two spring loaded bolts secured with nylon nuts.  One tall, one short.  To increase the cut in pressure, turn the nut on the tall bolt down.  To increase the cut out pressure,(that's the one that will give you more pressure) turn the nut on the short bolt down.  This should give you the additional pressure you  need.   The air pressure on the bladder tank should be set at 2 PSI below cut in pressure or, in the case of a 20/40 control box,  18 PSI. Good luck,  Tom
    JeffNY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2003, 09:39 PM
    Re: What should water pressure be for washer?
    >>Low pressure shouldn't make your washer "leak".  It just makes it fill slower. <<

No, it really will make it leak. The water that enters a washer does not directly dump into the tub. There is a "cup" the water has to shoot into before it can drain into the tub. This "cup" is required by law for some reason. Without enough pressure to shoot the distance into the "cup" it can cause a "dip". I'll try and pop the top off my washer and get a picture to show you. The repair guy (who also sells appliances) also says without enough water pressure on the valves in the washer it can cause them to fail early too. Thanks for the info though...

Jeff
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 28, 2003, 06:28 AM
    What should water pressure be for washer?
    Goodmorning Jeff, It's not that I question your appliance guy but something doesn't sound right. Could you give me the name and model# of your washer. Also the state and area where you live so that I can look up the code that compells a washer manufacture to install some sort of cup with a built in leak at the inlet. I live in Florida where the water enters the washer through a eltromagnetic valve and then into the tub. I've been a plumber for over 50 years and have yet to see low water pressure damage a valve, eltromagnetic or otherwise. You can always teach a old dog new tricks but this old dog's a skeptic. So help me out with a little information. I'm ready to learn. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure washer [ 5 Answers ]

Does anybody know how to adjust the pressure regulator oin 2600psi troy bilt?

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Cold water pressure in shower and washer only [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, As the subject says, I have a huge loss of cold water pressure in my upstairs shower and my downstairs washing machine only. The upstairs and downstairs sinks are all fine (including the sink directly next to the shower in the upstairs bathroom). Taking the shower head off doesn't make a...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search