Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2010, 06:14 PM

Just inside the clutch housing, there's also a release fork bolt that should be lubricated with Super High Temperature Urea Grease. The release fork pivots on this bolt.

I'm laying all of this out for you, so you will have a clearer picture of the clutch system. This should help you troubleshoot any future problems.
    Tumbz Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2010, 09:02 PM

Im seeing the picture! LOL! Thanks Again Tx! :D
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2010, 12:26 PM

Here's my guide on how you can do the job yourself in 20 minutes:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post232189

Skip Step 1, obviously, in your case. Also, skip the part on assembly lube.

I'm worried that the grease the guy used will bleed onto the piston, causing the seals to swell, and the clutch pedal will unexpectedly go to the floor someday. It happened to me on a 1994 Accord EX. Ever since, I've really taken care of hydraulic clutches.

Jan 25, 2010, 12:44 PM

Hey Tx... Is Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Grease OK?
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 03:11 PM

Excellent grease (with Moly) for chassis, disc brake wheel bearings, CV joints, and universal joints. However, it's not suitable for lubricating the ball-end on your slave cylinder.

As an aside, I talked to the technical experts at Amsoil about possible substitutes for lubricating the ball-end and release forks on Hondas. They said there are no substitutes, including any of their products, for applications requiring urea or clay based grease. Urea greases, they said, are very expensive high temperature greases used for very specific applications, where there are no substitutes. That's what I like about Amsoil--always very professional, great products, and tell it like it is.

Jan 25, 2010, 06:52 PM

Thanks... I guess ill have to order the honda urea from online.

=)
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 07:13 PM

Call College Hills Honda, Wooster, Ohio 888/244-6632. They sell it for $11.69 + $2.50 Shipping. The local Honda dealers want around $15. These guys have good prices on Honda Genuine parts. They are a full-service Honda dealer, with internet and phone sales.

Follow the instructions I gave you the other day. It's a super simple job that's worth doing right. Then you should be set for a long time. Be sure to wipe off all of the old grease and dirt on the ball-end and the dimple in the release fork. Trust me, there's nothing worse than having clutch failure in rush-hour traffic.

Jan 25, 2010, 07:36 PM

I bought it off Ebay for a good price actually. 14$$ shipped! =)

Honda Super High Temp Urea Grease. =)

Ill let you know how it turns out Tx... In about a few days...

It was raining today and the notchyness in the clutch isn't as bad but is still there...

I guess the WD40 he sprayed under the hood ( I'm guessing on the clutch linkage ) ( I couldn't tell you the part he sprayed but when someone sits inside the car and moves the stick, and your under the hood looking, the part moves. This is the part he sprayed... ) is probably wearing off. Maybe I should use a brush and apply some grease there?

In addition to changing the slave cylinder? This is the reason why I'm doing all this.. LOL. I just want to get rid of the nochyness and pressure in the gear box once and for all.

I probably should have just changed the slave cylinder like you told me to FROM THE GET GO!

But ill let you know how it turns out.

THanks TXGREASEMONKEY! :p

Jan 25, 2010, 07:39 PM
    Remember I'm a super car newbie... LOL... Sorry for not knowing the parts names...

I bought a new clutch slave cylinder. It came with the cylinder itself + a long metal thing with a rounded tip on 1 end + a little rubber plug ( I'm guessing that is to plug the line when I detach so it won't leak brake fluid? )
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 07:45 PM

You don't need a new slave cylinder at all. You may get yourself in trouble opening the hydraulic system. I don't advise it. I believe the problem is dirt and wear on the release fork, which is binding the ball-end.

The long metal piece is the ball-end that expands into the release fork dimple, when you depress the clutch pedal. I'm not sure the guy could even grease the ball-end without following a procedure like I describe. I think he lubed the wrong side of the dimple on the release fork, which does nothing.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 07:51 PM
    Even as a newbie, you can do this job in 20 minutes. Since you can change the MTF and bleed the clutch, you can easily do this. It's another story, however, to bleed the clutch system after replacing the slave cylinder. I've seen experience mechanics have lots of trouble preventing the clutch pedal from going all the way to the floor and staying there. They allowed just a little bit of air into the system and they were beside themselves.

Jan 25, 2010, 07:55 PM

WHAT! LoL! I thought I had to change the slave cylinder...

I bought a 30$ PBR slave cylinder for my 2001 civic.. HAHAHA... Im a dumbass. Now what should I do? SHould I change it? It doesn't seem that hard after reading it on Google.

Hmmm.. We are a little confused... Let me explain better.

The guy did not lubricate anywhere near the slave cylinder. He sprayed WD40 on a different part. Its kind of hard to explain. This has nothing to do with the clutch pedal.

If someone sits inside the car, and moves the gearbox switching gears from 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.. there is a part under the hood that moves. Its located behind and under the engine. He had to remove a part of the air intake to get to it. Its to the left of the AIR FILTER, under it. That's what he sprayed. The part moves whenever you engage a gear. I don't know what its called.

I was thinking maybe grease would be a better lube than WD40. Should I use a brush and some SYNPOWER Valvoline grease and apply it there?

Jan 25, 2010, 07:57 PM
    Uhh OOOO...
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 07:58 PM

Your slave cylinder is perfectly good. Get your girl friend to depress the clutch pedal and you will see the ball-end press on the release fork, after you unseat the boot. A new slave cylinder will not do anything else. Plus, the ball-end is very tough steel. The wear does not happen there but on the release fork. Once you clean the dimple and ball-end of old dirt and grease, grease the dimple and ball-end, you will see there's no need to replace the slave cylinder.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 08:00 PM
    Are you talking about the shift linkage, going from the gear shift to the clutch?

Jan 25, 2010, 08:02 PM

Ok. Your actually completely right. I was thinking to myself, my slave cylinder wasn't leaking, why am I replacing it! I guess I was a little confused...

I will just take it out and remove the old grease and put on new Honda Urea Grease when I get it...

Ill return the slave cylinder...

Jan 25, 2010, 08:04 PM
    Ok then! It was the shift linkage... For example if I put the gear to 3rd gear, I can observe the shift linkage move from under the hood right? It should move to a different position... If yes, then that is the part he Sprayed WD40 on.

Should I lube it with some synthetic grease with a brush instead?
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 08:05 PM

Just do what I describe in the link below, except skip Step 1, since you are not replacing the slave cylinder:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post232189

Jan 25, 2010, 08:09 PM

kk, ill update you soon! =)
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2010, 08:09 PM
    This will be so simple you won't believe it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 ford ranger edge v6. Trans fluid [ 1 Answers ]

This truck has 60,500 miles on it and this has the original trans fluid in it. Seems to be working fine. I hear two stories about changing trans fluid. One says you should change the filter too, one says flush only is fine. Which is true?

1996 GMC PU w/V6 and manual trans (wont start) [ 2 Answers ]

Intermittant "won't start" problems. I have replaced the crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, fuel pump (twice), plugs and plug wires and fuel filter. There are no codes when I scan the computer and the truck runs fine when it does start. The truck has 179,000 miles on it and is in great...

Car DOESN'T SHIFTwhen its ON(Manual Trans). [ 6 Answers ]

When the engine is off, the car goes into gear, but when I turn it on and press the clutch it doesn't want to go into gear. I tried starting it while in first and reverse; the result is the car jumps then the engine dies. I do not know if my tranny is bad because it goes into gear when the engine...

2001 Honda Accord Ex Coupe Trans/electrical? [ 1 Answers ]

I Have A 2001 Honda Ex Coupe That Gets Regularly Stuck In Park. Have To Cycle The Ignition And "stomp" On The Brake Pedal Numerous Times To Get It To Shift Out Of Park. There Are Numerous Lights On The Dash On Also. They Are Random In Which Ones And Length Of Time They Stay On. I Don't Know...

View more questions Search