Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0007russell Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 01:47 PM
    There are two people on the car title and now she is not making payments.
    What happens on the repo, are we both 1/2 responsible.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 18, 2010, 01:49 PM

It may depend on how the loan papers are written. But most likely, you are both equally responsible.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 01:52 PM

Please clarify - are there two people named on the car loan? If so, then each is responsible to make sure the loan is paid. If "she" isn't paying her half, you should pay the full amount to avoid having the car repo'd, then take her to small claims to get full title to the car.

Jan 18, 2010, 02:18 PM
    There are two people on the car title and now she is not making payments.
    I am in Texas moved for work, and She is in Idaho and northwest. The Car was purchased in Arizona. She keeps hiding! I am on the top and she is on the bottom of the title. She has the vehicle, and the only one who drives it!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 02:32 PM

You're previous question aluded to repo - what precisely is your question?

Jan 18, 2010, 02:42 PM

Please don't start a new thread for follow-up. Use the answer this question options. I've merged the threads for you.

Your situation is very unclear. Is there a loan on the car? Is it not being repaid. Who is on the loan?

Jan 18, 2010, 03:59 PM

Both names are on the title, it was purchased in Arizona. The registration is still Arizona, but I live in Texas, and She lives in Idaho. She has been paying the majority of the loan, but she sometimes flakes out and just does not pay for the vehicle. She is the only one that drives it. I was the boyfriend that helped her get into a vehicle so I would not have to keep driving her to and from work. So if the vehicle get repo, what is going to happen to both persons on the title, because I am already in debt settlement program, so money is tight. Will they split the amount owed, between the two parties.

Jan 18, 2010, 04:20 PM

You didn't answer the question about who is on the loan and how that's worded. Assuming you are both on the loan, then you are equally responsible for the full amount. If she fails to pay and the car is repo-ed you can be held responsible for the entire balance.

Jan 18, 2010, 04:34 PM

I am on the top, and she is on the bottom. When I ask mountain american credit union. We are both responsible, that is what I am told. Sorry about the confusion! So what happens if the car gets repo down the road, if she doesn't get her act together. Being the Vehicle is bought in AZ, and I live in Texas, and she has the vehicle in Idaho. Plus I do not know what condition the Vehicle is in! Since she is only one who drove it, I hope they go after her first.

Jan 18, 2010, 04:41 PM

You are mixing up the title and the loan. It doesn't matter who is on top or bottom in the title. Nor does it matter for the loan.

The credit union is correct as I told you, you are both responsible. They will probably go after her first, but if she can't pay they will also come after you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 08:09 PM

Normally they will go after who ever they think they can get the money from, often both parties to get as much as they can from either.

In Texas you are protected somewhat to garnishments.

But if they do't think they can get the money from her they will come after you for all of it.

Jan 19, 2010, 05:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You are mixing up the title and the loan. It doesn't matter who is on top or bottom in the title. Nor does it matter for the loan.

The credit union is correct as I told you, you are both responsible. They will probably go after her first, but if she can't pay they will also come after you.
    Thank you for the answer, it helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Start making payments? [ 3 Answers ]

I had three credit cards that all went into collections. One was a visa with my bank that was $1000. I eventually paid once I noticed the bank was taking money out of my account. The second was a Capital One Master Card that is $500, last time I checked (about 3 years ago) the balance had collected...

Buyer isn't making payments. [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I are selling our home through a Contract for Deed. Buyer is now 4 months behind on payments. We gave Buyer a 60-day Notice of default. Buyer's lawyer is now claiming that we are in Violation of Section 305 of the Texas Finance Code because in the contract it states we are charging...

Warrant for not making car payments [ 9 Answers ]

In the state of Georgia can they put a warrant out for not making your car payment and how long do they need to wait if they can. How months

Can I take my car back if he's been making payments? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Canada. I was dating a guy and leased a car for him to drive. The car is in my name, insured in my name, payments are in my name. He has been making payments and as of right now, until I actually see the receipt for the week he said he paid the dealership is in default by one week. He...

Making payments before Collection Agency [ 5 Answers ]

I'll try to make this brief since it's a friend & I don't have all the info exactly. Basically, there were 2 sisters & 1 brother. Brother lived with mother last few years of her life (I think) and had her change her will at a point in time when she was not all there. Changed the will to he got...

View more questions Search