Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TRD1104 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 12:31 PM
    My dog cries when I walk him
    Hi, I have a 14 week old cocker spaniel who doesn't like going for a walk! She just cries constantly when we're out, whether she's on the park off the lead or just walking round the streets. When you are out all she wants to do is go home and is pulling all the time. I've owned a cocker spaniel before and my husband has had dogs all his life and never come across a dog that doesn't like walking. Can anyone help please?? In all other aspects she isn't bad.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2010, 02:51 PM

Does she look like she is excited or frightened?

My advice will differ depending on what you think the dog is feeling :)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 04:36 PM

When was the last time her nails were trimmed?

Jan 19, 2010, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Does she look like she is excited or frightened?

My advice will differ depending on what you think the dog is feeling :)
    I would say she is more frightened than excited, as you are walking her she is constantly running under your feet as though she wants to be picked up. When she realises she is close to home she just pulls and pulls as though she desperately wants to get back inside. When she was walked today she got quite scared of a lady walking by with a pushchair and a man in a mobility scooter. She also howled as she was walking today as well as whinning, it is actually getting quite embarrassing. Any advice will be greatly received. Thank you.

Jan 19, 2010, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    When was the last time her nails were trimmed?
    Hi, she has never had her nails trimmed, she is only 14 weeks old, we have checked and they seem OK but thanks for answering.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TRD1104 View Post
    I would say she is more frightened than excited, as you are walking her she is constantly running under your feet as though she wants to be picked up. When she realises she is close to home she just pulls and pulls as though she desperately wants to get back inside. When she was walked today she got quite scared of a lady walking by with a pushchair and a man in a mobility scooter. She also howled as she was walking today as well as whinning, it is actually getting quite embarrassing. Any advice will be greatly received. Thank you.
    This sounds like a socialization issue. She may very well be frightened of the outdoors. The first thing to check on are frightening environmental issues. From your posts I'm guessing you're in an urban setting. Are there any sounds or smells you might not notice, such as road or construction work? A/C units or generators can make ultrasonics that are quite painful to those who can hear them, like dogs.

Getting her used to this environment is going to take time and repeated exposure. Make sure you have lots of treats when you go out, and start on training now. She's old enough for obedience classes at the park, too.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 12:35 PM

Hello, My sisters dog used to do this as well. What we did was:
    -Play with her A lot outside (she'll get used to noise, smell, etc.) Also she'll think outside=fun.
    -When we took her for a walk we would bring treats, the moment she stopped whining she would get a treat, if she started whining we would stop walking, and edventually she got the idea that when she walked she got a treat, and she was always to distracted by the treat she wouldn't whine, and edventually(We got her at 10 weeks, she is now a year, we started this little thing 6 months ago) all is well, hope this may help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Dog Cries all night in Crete [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old puppy that cries all night in the crete. I have taken him for walks, he plays with the other dog, he should be tired. But 4 am roles around and he is still screaming. When we first got him for about the last week we had him sleeping in our bed so I think he got used to...

Adopted elderly dog cries even if I am home [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My dog was a stray and used to live near where I did for many years. We were great friends even then and I'd sort of watch out for him. Three years ago, he was being taken away by the pound and I was told by the neighbours that I could not bring him back as they had a problem with it (I live...

My dog cries when I leave, even if my husband is home. [ 2 Answers ]

My dog cries when I leave, even if my husband is home. He howls and carries on and then wonders around the entire time I am gone. I thought dogs only did this for attention or when no one was home. But no matter what my husband does, he won't stop. Do you have any tips on how we can fix this?

Help... Dog cries every night in the crate... [ 10 Answers ]

My one year old dachshund cries every night at around 1am in his crate for no other reason then to be let out to come sleep in my bed. We try to ignore it and tell him to lay down but this will go on for an hour or so until we finally give in and let him out. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Dog Cries when Pooping [ 1 Answers ]

I have a two year old lab/terrior mix and for the last few days she cries when she poops. Can anyone tell me why? Sincerely, Case7280

View more questions Search