Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DIYGUY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2003, 05:47 PM
    New Basement Bathroom
    Hello,
    I have a question that I would like to see if you can answer. I have purchased a newly constructed home with a full basement. The problem is it was not stubbed for a bathroom. My question is, Where I want to locate the bathroom there is a floor drain. Can I cutup the concrete and tap into it for the toilet waste drain. And second what size of pipe did they use for a floor drain.
    And last if I can't do this what do you suggest I can do to get a bathroom in the basement as it is a pian to keep running upstairs to go...
    Thanks for your help
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 2, 2003, 09:57 AM
    New Basement Bathroom
    Good morning Guy, There's a little more to roughing in a basement bathroom group then just tieing into a floor drain. First off, this in magor surgery, (best left to a plumber) usless the contractor left it roughed in. Since floor drains are sized 2" and you'll need a 4" branch for a bathroom group you will have to jackhammner up the floor over to the main sewer drain and cut a fitting in to pick up your toilet. You will also have to remove enough cement to run branches for the lavatory and the shower if you're going to install a entire group. But that's just a start. The vent comes next. You'll have to figure out a way to run a 2" vent through the roof or up in the attic to revent back into a exisiting vent. The water's the easy part. Simply cut and tee off from the closest 3/4" hot and cold line. You're talking a lot of $, a lot of labor and a lot of dirt, dust and hassle just to avoid running upstairs to use the potty. How ever, If this is just going to be a convinience john and not used for a family bath, why not consider installing a chemical toilet and building a enclosure around it for privacy. That way you would bypass all the headaches you would be letting yourself in for. If you're interested is checking out chemical toilets click on back and I'll give you some links . Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Is a 1.5inch diameter pipe thick enough to use as a shower drain? I have a basement with drain pipes already set up the 2inch pipe is too close to the toilet so is this pipe enough or do I have to bust up the concrete. I already checked it with a garden hose I turned it up all the way and it...

Bathroom in basement [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bathroom rough in in a basement with three pipes up from the floor one is obviously the toile but how do we know which is vent and which is drain? Or are both drains and the rough in is already tied to the vent?:

Bathroom in basement [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings everyone, and thank you for viewing my post. I want to install a bathroom in my basement, but before I start ripping things up (and buying everything in sight at the home store), and after reading lots of posts on this site already, I want to ask a few questions. First, some...

Basement Bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing off a basement bathroom, I am going to tile the floor. There is a pipe approx. 6" high coming out of the floor for the toilet, when installing the floor how close to the floor should I have to cut the pipe off, how much room do I need to leave around that pipe, do I...

Another Basement bathroom job [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Thank you for looking at this question and helping me out. Attached is a MS Word doc that should explain everything. I have read a lot of posts in here and I think I have all the info needed for someone to easily answer my questions. I do have a lot better pictures and drawings, but...

View more questions Search