Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 06:06 AM

Shaz excellent post, of course I have to spread the rep, but excellent points!
    Lucky, that does seem like a cheap spay, seeing as for my female cat, who never had a heat cycle, cost me $160 for the spay plus another $60 for the pain meds.
    Male dog neuter, was almost $300 after all said and done. He was only 7 months but weighed close to 100 lbs.
    Any ways, thank you stlest for coming back and clearing the aie about the puggle! I completley understand how you feel. I am really glad that you came back and continued to read the posts.
    Did you make a decision on a dog or breed?
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 06:43 AM

Now I want to show you guys something.
    I am looking on a classified webpage at dogs and puppies for sale. I don't think I have to explain how I feel about this kind of stuff, but I just want to reiterate my point about how some times reputable breeders can be cheaper then BYB.

The "rare blue nose pitbul"
    UKC REGISTERED BLUE NOSE PITBULL PUPS - Halifax Dogs & Puppies For Sale - Kijiji Halifax

And now my ultimate favorite, please if you skipped past the other one look at this one, an Australian Labradoodle
    Australian Labradoodle - Halifax Dogs & Puppies For Sale - Kijiji Halifax

I just can not get over the prices people are selling these dogs for.
    The next link is for a CKC registered Labrador breeder selling her pups for $800.00 with the condition of a spay/neuter contract, and contact with breeder and owner is mandatory, and full reference check is done.
    Welcome to Graystone Kennels
    Oh and last time I checked there is almost a 2 year wait for pups.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 08:22 AM

There is a borderline puppy mill near me that sells Labradoodles for $1500 +
    They have sold over 800 puppies in the past 10 years all over the world.
    They do health testing but the majority of their claims are misleading.

Here's a link to their puppies page... just check out the dates the litters were born on... 19 litters since the beginning of November... makes me sick.

Tasmanian Labradoodles
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 08:24 AM

Altenweg... I'm sorry, but I will never put a healthy, squirrely dog down.. I will never watch the light leave there eyes.. I was not put on this earth to aide in the destruction of God's creatures... I just won't do it... I worked at the animal shelter for a day... It was D-day for the cats in the hold room... A whole litter of 4 week old kittens were going to be put down because they hissed at employees... I quit the next day
    Do you think it was an easy thing to do? I don't believe in killing healthy animals either, but these animals had been in the shelter forever, some for almost 2 years. After a while, even with volunteers like me walking them, spending time with them, they go cage crazy. They are no longer adoptable. You can see it in their eyes when you walk by. They ignore the people coming in, they don't even look up, they don't wag their tails, they've given up. So, are they supposed to be in that cage forever? You tell me the solution.

I never worked at the shelter, I volunteered and I left because I couldn't handle it. I wanted to take every animal home with me and I just can't. But, the reason I did what I did, well, those animals would have been euthanized whether I was there or not. At least I was able to hold them, pet them, give them some love and attention before their lives ended.

I really resent your post. If you think I agree with the "destruction of animals", you couldn't be more wrong! I have 2 rabbits from the shelter, another that was found wandering the streets and the person that found her couldn't keep her so I did. Yes, I have one pet store rabbit, because I couldn't leave him there.

I have 3 dogs. My oldest, Indy, is 14 and the product of our friend not being smart enough to realize that his male and female might get together and have puppies. The second, our Jasper, is from the shelter. He was a badly beaten pup that didn't want anything to do with humans. Now he's a well socialized wonderful addition to our family. Chewy, our beagle is from a breeder, because I couldn't find a beagle rescue anywhere near our home and I refuse to get a dog sight unseen. Our bird was the pet of a guy my husband works with, his son is allergic so we took Marty.

If I had a choice in what happens to shelter animals, they'd all find loving homes, they'd all be cared for and adopted. I don't have that choice, and until people stop selling puppies in Walmart parking lots, I never will have that choice.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 08:32 AM

Kudos to you Altenweg for being able to be in "that room".
    I myself volunteer, the best I can do is clean the cages, donate unused blankets and coats, food, etc, walk, brush and groom the dogs. I try to spend as much time with the kittes and puppies as I can. But I CAN NOT go in that room.
    Your post is breaking my heart. I just can't wrap my head around the crulty these animals have endured. And then to spend the time there after in cages only to be euthenized due to moronic pet owners. I bet those animals feeling the love and consideration you show to them before they pass, is soemthing they truly enjoy and need. It takes a strong person to do what you do, and unfortuantly if more people stood where you stood, you may not have to stand there as often.
    I have much respect and admiration for you and the people in your shoes.
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 08:48 AM

Thanks Aurora. Sadly I couldn't handle it for long. It was just too much, to see a perfectly healthy dog being put down just because there aren't enough homes and people all want puppies, puppies that will probably end up back at the shelter because people don't think things through before they adopt.

A while back, around 2 years ago or a little less, there was a dog named Boots in the shelter. He was 8 years old, a lab cross, I think he had border collie in him. I fell in love with boots, but he had too many restrictions. He couldn't be around other dogs (we had two at the time) or kids (two kids) or any other animals. If I could have, he would have come home with me. I actually started a thread about boots here on AMHD. I was hoping that someone in the Edmonton area would see the thread and adopt Boots.

He was in the shelter for almost 2 years. I would stop by to bring him stuff, a treat, a toy, a used dog bed, whatever I could. One day he was gone. He wasn't adopted, his age and restrictions made it impossible to find his forever home, so he was put to sleep. At the end, he was cage crazy. It happens.

The shelter does the best they can, but they only have so much space, so many resources, and too many animals coming in. A lot of the dogs go to foster homes, but there are only so many people that can do that. I've tried, but because of the age of my kids, I'm not considered an ideal foster home. Also because I already have 3 dogs and can't take cats (3/4 of my family is allergic).

Personally, I think that every person that wants their pet to have a litter should have to work one day in the shelter, during D day. They should have to hold that beautiful 2 year old lab cross in their arms while he dies. I bet that they wouldn't be so eager to breed if they had to do that.

Just to bring the point home. Here is one of the dogs available in the Edmonton shelter right now. His name is Tyler, he's a 5 year old Labrador pointer cross. He's neutered.

Attachment 28461
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 09:34 AM

GORGEOUS! What's his story? I guess I am being a sado masochist today, asking for his story :p
    I wish I could adopt another. Lady has some dog aggression issues, but she recently has passed her first 8 week set of manners classes, now were are on to level one obeidience and behaviour modification- relaxation and deference. I don't know if you read the post or not about the "pure bred LaBoxers" for sale?
    But I went to meet a puppy, but Lady had obsessive compulsive behaviours with the pup. She was constantly licking the ears and face and licking the bum to stimulate bowl movements, etc, almost to point of mauling. So we are working on the issues. She is 5 (a rescue) and I may never be able to correct those issues. But only time will tell.
    I know becasueof my situation ( single mom with 2 year old daughter) they were very hesitant with my adoption process, but finally it went through, they tellme all the time how happy they are with the decision they made!
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/l...-341429-8.html
    Last page is my post with the "laboxers"
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 09:43 AM

Our shelter does a color coding thing. It's supposed to help you find your match.

Here's what they have to say about Tyler. They don't usually list why the animal is in the shelter.

Hi, I'm Tyler! I'm a sweet, sociable boy who would love to come home with you. I would prefer a home with children 7 years and older, as younger children may be a bit overwhelming for me.

I would like to meet your whole family, so please bring everyone in to make sure we all get along.

GOOFBALL(ORANGE): I'm a fun-loving, happy-all-the-time, glass-is-half-full kind of dog looking for someone who loves to laugh and play around. Must have a great sense of humor and a bunch of tennis balls.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 09:47 AM

That is freaking adorable.
    Are they on pet finder?
    He looks young? 4-5 months maybe?
    Such a sad way to start a life. Im a weird way I am almost happier when I see puppies coming, in as Iknow more people are willing to adopt puppies opposed to older dogs. I hope he finds his home!
    Keep us updated? Please :)
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 10:03 AM

He's 5 years old Aurora. I know, he doesn't look it, does he?

Here's the link the their website;

Edmonton Humane Society | SPCA in Edmonton, Alberta | Adoptable Animals

It's actually a great site for information as well. They just opened a new shelter. I haven't gone yet, it's in West Edmonton, much further away then the old one, but it was time. The old building was built in the 50's and really didn't meet the needs of the pets. The new building, from pictures I've seen, is gorgeous.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 10:06 AM

5 YEARS OLD!!
    I thought those were puppy ears if I ever saw them!
    Yes he looks so young!
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 10:08 AM
    I can't believe the gorgeous dogs on that site, Submarine is so cute! Almost makes me want to take a trip to Edmonton!
    And I will always have a soft spot for the Bully breeds.
    I hate that I am seeing them more often then not in the shelters, people want them because they look mean and tough, they don't understand they are big babies, and need lots of training and work.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 10:15 AM

I was not directing anything bad towards you Altenweg... I was just stating my point on where I stand with euthanasia... I just won't participate...

To be honest.. every family out there that wants their kids to experience the wonderful gift of life, should also take those kids down to the local shelter on a Wed. morning and see the miracle of death as well... Maybe that will hit home to someone...

A lady who lives down the street who has the infamous dog on a chain, just had puppies :(... Its ridiculous...

And altenweg.. there is no cure to the madness... This vicious cycle will continue... all we can do is keep fighting...
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    I can't beleive the gorgeous dogs on that site, Submarine is so cute! almost makes me want to take a trip to Edmonton!!
    And I will always have a soft spot for the Bully breeds.
    I hate that I am seeing them more often then not in the shelters, people want them becasue they look mean and tough, they don't understand they are big babies, and need lots of training and work.
    They have more dogs but you have to enquire at the shelter, most of them are in foster homes.

If you want to read more about any of them then just double click their picture.

There's also a lot of great info on how to care for the pets, how to recognize a legitimate breeder, etc. etc. They even have kids programs, doggy daycare, training programs and much more.

I'm really proud to have a shelter like this close to were we live. They do a great job.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 10:21 AM

Wow sounds like it!
    I like that they have kids programs, I keep asking about it our shelter, but the funds just aren't there.
    Man I never realized that so many bunnies get brought in!
    I can honestly say in the past 1 year at our shelter there has been one rabbit that was brought in, it was a wild one that was attacked by a cat, and someone brought it in. he healed and one of the members brought it home.
    Lucky has anyone contacted the local SPCA about the chained dog having puppies?
    That is such a sin :(
    Have anyone of you guys seen that new show, I can't remember what it is called, rescue something, about those huge ex con biker men weho rescue animals?
    I always said if Ilived in the states I would call those guys on so many people!
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 10:30 AM

"Rescue Ink" is that the show?

Kilala (the last bunny I adopted) is a shelter rescue. She came from a household of over 200 rabbits (I believe it was 235) that were allowed to roam free, no spaying or neutering, no vet care, baby bunnies everywhere. They were all seized and brought to the shelter. Sadly over 30 had to be put to sleep, they were simply to sick.

Kilala was pregnant when she arrived at the shelter, they did a spay abort and we adopted her a few days after her surgery. The reason we picked her, she was destroying her cage. She was throwing things around, really not happy, but, when I put my finger through the bars she came up to sniff.

She has a lot of issues, we're still working on them with her. She was my mothers day gift. :)

Here she is. Don't laugh at her hair, she's a lionhead/harlequin mix, which is why she has blue eyes.

Attachment 28462
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 10:35 AM

That is so cute! I have a thing for the misfts myself.
    So these bunnies were running around fee, in someone's HOME?
    And yes rescue Inc, that's the one!
    Do your dogs mind the bunnies?
    I think Lady has a high prey drive, I am not so sure how they would get on.
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 10:47 AM
    That is so cute! I have a thing for the misfts my self.
    So these bunnies were running around fee, in someone's HOME?
    And yes rescue Inc, that's the one!
    Do your dogs mind the bunnies?
    I think Lady has a high prey drive, I am not so sure how they would get on.
    Aurora, I have a beagle. Beagles are bred to hunt rabbits! :eek:

The rabbits are indoors in cages. We have an enclosure where they get to hop around. We always close the door to the basement when they're in the enclosure, just to be on the safe side, or they get to hop around my sons room, door closed.

My lab is fine with them. They actually jump on him, lick him and he just licks back. My border collie is a bit too hyper around them. I don't think he'd hurt them, I just think he'd play too rough. The beagle sniffs noses with them through their cages but he's still too young and hyper to play with them. Truth told, I'm more worried that he'd get hurt then the bunnies. They can bite hard and they kick.

Yes, all the bunnies were running free in this ladies house. This is one of many "rabbit houses" that have been found in Edmonton. Sadly there's never a shortage of rabbits in the shelter. I wish my husband would agree to adopt more, but we're running out of room. Four is my limit. :(
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 11:07 AM

Hah I guess I never put the beagle and the bunnies together lol. Sorry.
    I guess it's time to start adding on to the house eh? ;)
    I love hearing all the recue stories!
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2010, 11:16 AM
    Hah I guess I never put the beagle and the bunnies together lol. Sorry.
    I guess it's time to start adding on to the house eh? ;)
    I love hearing all the recue stories!
    It's funny that you should mention adding on to the house.

We've lived here for 14 years but we're planning on buying an acreage in a few years. We'd like a few acres. We'd build a heated barn with cages, a hop around area. Then we'll adopt more bunnies. :)

We'd also like an enclosed area for the dogs, nice and big so they can run around and have fun. Then we'll adopt another dog, maybe two. We have it all planned out, just need the money. ;)

I'd have 100's of animals if I could.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Maltipoo (7 weeks) won't eat! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got my 7 week old Matipoo today. She seems very shy and hides her face if you talk to her. She hasn't eaten anything ALL day! I gave her some Pedialite from a syringe and she drank it all and she also had a few sips of water. The guy who sold her to me gave me a bag of food that she had been...

View more questions Search